SoundWorkshop consoles..??? any opinions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Darryl2112
audio school graduate

SoundWorkshop consoles..??? any opinions

Post by Darryl2112 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:19 am

Hello all. I've searched quite a bit and can't find anything about Sound Workshop, someone is trying to get rid of a console close to me for $500, they don't know much about it and are pretty sure one of the channels (its a 24 channel console). We don't really have room right now for a console that big, but if its pre's and eq's are decent (like prosumer grade and up) than I will definitely make room for that many pre's for that price.

What we have right now is a Mackie Onyx 1624 board, B.L.U.E Robbie, FMR RNP,4 of the Apogee Ensemble's pre's, and a lunchbox with 2 512's (on the way). The Mackie has been somewhat of a workhorse since we've had it(and we need it to use our tape machine too), if we got the SoundWorkshop the mackie would probably have to go. Considering what we have at our disposal, is the SW board worth the trouble?
its a series 30 by the way

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:27 am

Sound Workshop was started by former employees of API. Their consoles are definitely "prosumer grade and up". :D

I recorded and mixed an album on (IIRC) a 34c sometime around 1981. The board sounded good and was easy to work on. The EQs aren't Neve, but are very usable. If you don't end up taking it, please let me know. A 24 channel SW console in decent condition for $500 is a ridiculous steal.

I'm surprised you couldn't find any info. I've seen a lot out on the Interwebs. Google it, I'm sure you'll find some useful stuff.

There's a Yahoo group here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/soundworkshop/

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:52 am

$500 for a SW 24 channel? YOU BETTER GET IT!!! you'll have a few jealous people here. i have a 12 channel 1280b that i gave a decent price for, but $500 is pure insanity! TO has several members that have SW boards. you won't find many complaints with the preamps and eq's with these boards. i use mine as a sidecar with my ramsa consoles.

rich

Darryl2112
audio school graduate

Post by Darryl2112 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 pm

well its actually a 20 channel board, I got confused..but anyways..I think I am gonna jump on it ..thanks for the help

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Join the Sound Workshop Yahoo group too bro.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/soundworkshop/

As a SW owner I have to say, $500 for dang near any mixer is cheap cheap.... but for a semi-healthy 20 input SW anything it's a give away.

Talk to Rich Giarratano. He's the main SW guru. Does repairs and anything SW related.
He built 95% of the consoles. PM me for a phone number or email.

-Erik

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:11 pm

from my experience, not a good idea.

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:12 pm

erik, have you ever had a hard time getting parts from rich? he has put me well on hold for parts ever since i got my 1280b. he is basically the only choice, but it's to the point where i bought tl074's from another vendor just so i could get some channels up. i send him emails of parts lists, but he keeps responding with"give me a list of what you need". is this normal? i know you worked with rich personally with your 1280b, just curious.

rich

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:16 pm

I haven't had any hassles with Rich at all like that.
Odd.

Do you have his phone number?

I mean...... he needs a nudge now and again but he's pretty together as far as I've seen.

analogcabin
buyin' gear

Post by analogcabin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Shane OConnor wrote:from my experience, not a good idea.
clarify?

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

e.maynard wrote:I haven't had any hassles with Rich at all like that.
Odd.

Do you have his phone number?

I mean...... he needs a nudge now and again but he's pretty together as far as I've seen.
nope, just emails. i have sent him a boatload regrding what i need. i wonder what the problem is. on the SW group, he walks on water. i hold him there, to, but am getting kinda perturbed at his blowing me off.

i really need a replacement super eq channel for my 1280 as well as all new replacement faders and a phantom power supply. not exactly chump change, you know. just wondering WTF, whenever i see him jumping around on the group.
everyone claims that he IS "the source" for SW gear, but if i got to "the source" and he just puts me on standby, i gotta wonder where this reputation comes from. not trying to start anything negative towards rich, just a bit of venting to someone who may understand my concern.

rich

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

e.maynard wrote:
Shane OConnor wrote:from my experience, not a good idea.
clarify?
yes, please clarify.

rich

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:20 am

I miss mine! Hoping to buy it back. I had the 12x8 with the nice wood sides and leatherette arm rest. Loved the EQ and the pre's.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.