What Did You Work On This Year? (best and worst of 2005)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:12 pm

soundguy wrote:happy holidays.

dave
Dude, what happened to your post? I was gonna make that a sticky. That was one of the most awesome things ever!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:53 pm

best this year-getting my act together, getting a few awesome clients...and recording one awesome project

worst-untangling mic cables, seriously.

started this year out right, bought the 16-track recorder i've been saving for.
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

ryanlikestorock
gettin' sounds

Post by ryanlikestorock » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:01 pm

2005 was mostly mastering and live sound for me. My favourite album I worked on was for this totally unknown band from Baltimore called "Page France". Next year, they'll be a name you'll remember. I'm sure of it.

I also did many months of live sound for a band called The Most Serene Republic. We did a month with Metric in the US and across Canada a few times with Pretty Girls Make Graves and Broken Social Scene.

I sold a website for $10k and bought a bunch of recording equipment with it.

2006 brings the grand opening of my first out-of-home studio. My girlfriend is moving into my existing home, which is equally as exciting.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:16 pm

2005 was crazy for me. Busy as hell.
I learned so much this year.
Last edited by joel hamilton on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:26 am

This year was pretty fun. I got to work on a lot of scoring dates for Lost. Standing in the room with that orchestra is one of the coolest things ever. I also got to work on a show for PBS called Legends of Jazz. I don't have TV so I don't know if it's out yet, but there was some great stuff on that show. I also assisted on Bette Midler's new album, and at the end of the year did a 12pc string and ISDN session that was pretty intense. A pretty good year until they shut the place down a few weeks ago :(

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:10 pm

joel hamilton wrote:Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Man, not to single out just ine band from an incredibly cool list, but I just saw those guys at the WOW Hall in Eugene, OR, and they freaking killed me. A totally amazing and creative band. Plus, despite their stage image, ultra-nice guys (and girl) offstage. They were playing with Secret Chiefs 3, who were also mind-blowingly cool, however in completely different ways.

My year was pretty good. My band Eleven Eyes released our 2nd CD, which I mixed, and it has been doing pretty well. Played more gigs in 2005 than any year previously in my so-called career. Also, I engineered a very cool album of guitar instrumentals for a local fingerstyle player that is probably the best-sounding project I've ever done. So, not a bad year...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:21 pm

NewAndImprov wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Man, not to single out just ine band from an incredibly cool list, but I just saw those guys at the WOW Hall in Eugene, OR, and they freaking killed me. A totally amazing and creative band. Plus, despite their stage image, ultra-nice guys (and girl) offstage. They were playing with Secret Chiefs 3, who were also mind-blowingly cool, however in completely different ways.

My year was pretty good. My band Eleven Eyes released our 2nd CD, which I mixed, and it has been doing pretty well. Played more gigs in 2005 than any year previously in my so-called career. Also, I engineered a very cool album of guitar instrumentals for a local fingerstyle player that is probably the best-sounding project I've ever done. So, not a bad year...
They are so great live. Secret chiefs are great as well.
My band "The Book Of Knots" is with Matthias (the drummer) and Carla(the violinist) in Sleepytime. We have fun. Trey (from Secret Chiefs/ Mr Bungle) also Played on the BOK record.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:24 pm

I just missed Sleepytime when they were down here not too long ago. I was bummed.

So, is anybody gonna talk about the ups and downs of their sessions this year like the thread started?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:32 pm

Ok... trying to mix a track for a band on a major label with the drummer and bassist while the singer's girlfriend is crying in my living room becuase the band wouldn't let her sing on the song and the singer is trying to comfort her... that was fun... looking at the drummer, shrugging, continuing to mix... definately the wierdest mix session i've ever done.

there were alot of good sessions, and i can't recall one particular story that is rad enough to include here...

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:29 am

cgarges wrote:
soundguy wrote:happy holidays.

dave
Dude, what happened to your post? I was gonna make that a sticky. That was one of the most awesome things ever!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I didnt feel right not dropping a bunch of names so I deleted it.

kinda like Lar's dad would probably have done.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:01 pm

soundguy wrote:...dropping a bunch of names ....
I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:51 am

Is it name dropping to list people you have worked with this year in a thread about what you worked on this year?

If so, I apologise and will delete my post as well.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:36 pm

If you ask me... this "deleting" thing has gotten way outta hand.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:03 am

joel hamilton wrote:Is it name dropping to list people you have worked with this year in a thread about what you worked on this year?
Technically, the thread was about the best and worst things you worked on this year, but apparenty few people actually bothered to read the first post.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:22 am

cgarges wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:Is it name dropping to list people you have worked with this year in a thread about what you worked on this year?
Technically, the thread was about the best and worst things you worked on this year, but apparenty few people actually bothered to read the first post.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I did read it. I didnt have any "worst" sessions. For real. Pre-production and meetings beforehand can prevent a bad one.