Drive-By Truckers/David Barbe

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Drive-By Truckers/David Barbe

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:54 am

Love this band for their writing and playing; Dirty South just keeps being put back on. These guys are tough and funny and proud; not the best musicians but not a thing wrong with how they play and sing.
They are The Clash to Kings of Leon as Green Day.

Barbe has really gotten good, also, and is not afraid of clarity, nor wide panning. The guitar sounds, acoustic and electric, are some of the best going, and I have to think he helps with arranging.

I would love to see him do a Ryan Adams record.

He also did the recent Bob Mould record, which I find a weird and compelling work.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Drive-By Truckers/David Barbe

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:39 pm

vvv wrote: He also did the recent Bob Mould record, which I find a weird and compelling work.
David played in Sugar with Bob Mould.

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:07 pm

David is also as nice a guy as you could meet; here's hoping he gets back to TapeOpCon as a panelist.

Frank

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 pm

Yeah, I saw Sugar, although I don't think he was all that involved in producing, then.

But the sound of the Truckers' records is so good, I want, I want, I want to fry some catfish, BBQ some ribs, buy him some sour mash; I just know he's making Neil Young remember.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.