Dealing with record lables and you recordings...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:55 am

congrats..its always tough to balance out these kind of issues..seems like you habdled it well..

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:21 pm

InvalidInk wrote:The lable and the band likes it and that is all that matters. I don't think the new versions sound "bad" just different.
Isn't that bummer tho? For whatever reason (I'm guessing cuz I have a Mac) I can't listen to the old/new mixes you posted but I can sympathize. Mid-2005 I worked one-on-one with a band where we got some aggressive tones but then there were clashes with people not directly influenced with the real vision of the band (a far cry from their demos that got them "in"). I was so happy to get room mics turned up way loud but the protest were the amount of room reflection. Well, how do you present a band that listens to bands with an aggressive amount of room sound? How would Neurosis' "Times of Grace" perception be without all the room reflection?

I know all the problems Albini had with such things as well. Hopefully you got paid for your extra time, regarding re-mixes. If anything else, hang onto the old mixes... they come in handy later on for Import Bonus Tracks. There's been a few I've thrown toward Import +3 bonus stuff (alt mixes).

It does suck to compromise. If anything else you'll have the mix you like for a studio-sample disc.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

lukievan
takin' a dinner break

sorry, but....

Post by lukievan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:09 pm

I just gotta say: it's 'label', not 'lable'.