DIO - Rainbow in the Dark!

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mertmo
buyin' gear

DIO - Rainbow in the Dark!

Post by mertmo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:38 pm

I heard this today and was thinking, it might be my favorite 80's metal song and recording.

It's huge without sounding stupid and processed like most of that music does. The drums are big but they still sound real. And that fucking guitar tone! OH MY GOD! That riff and that tone just pound!
I'm no huge fan of Dio by any means but damn, I love this frikkin song... :twisted:

timbertrout
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by timbertrout » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:13 am

Probably the GREATEST zero-talent-required-yet-catchy-as-hell-and-PERFECT synth lead line ever.

Followed closely by A-Ha's "Take On Me", though I actually would probably need at least a half an hour to practice it to play it...

Randomly/Tangentially: I always loved Saga's "On the Loose" for similar reasons as RITD.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:29 pm

YES!
Saga's "on the loose" is incredibly cool, I always loved that song too.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:58 am

You're right, for the 80's that whole album was actually very cool. The only drawback was some of the cheesey background/effects sounds. But the drums, vox, and guitars were great. The mixing was pretty straight forward and Dio's voice rocked. Heck, even the keyboards sounded pretty huge on that album.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:00 am

Never heard the whole record, Kenny. Perhaps I should... :suspect:

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:14 am

A rainbow in the dark... Hmmm, I think that's code talk for GAY ORGY.. Hahaha, no, really, it is one of those songs that just has something about it..

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:15 pm

MikeCzech wrote:A rainbow in the dark... Hmmm, I think that's code talk for GAY ORGY....
no no, you're thinking of "bon jovi."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:32 pm

pppsshht...

I love VENOM..

true metal gods!

timbertrout
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by timbertrout » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:54 am

mertmo wrote:YES!
Saga's "on the loose" is incredibly cool, I always loved that song too.
There was that particular vein of metalish/popish/progish stuff that somehow incorporated economical arrangements (a post-"new wave" influence?) that I dug back then 1981-83...

Songs like:

Ah, Leia - Donnie Iris
Fantasy - Aldo Nova
Asia's First Album
Lunatic Fringe - Red Riders(?)

even...ahem..."Turn Me Loose" by Loverboy.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:35 pm

God how embarassing. Yup. I'm a fan too. Such a time in the eighties. "Metal"! With keyboards! How gay! How lovely!

Add to the list the weird little wanky thing on the beginning of VH, 1984.

Oh, and "Twilight Zone" by Golden Earring.

It was weird era for R&R.

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Holy Diver was a great album... What happened on Last in Line? Eek....

http://balladofdio.ytmnd.com/

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:34 am

The Spark wrote:Holy Diver was a great album... What happened on Last in Line? Eek....

http://balladofdio.ytmnd.com/
Probably the same thing that happened to Judas Priest on "Defenders of the Faith". That was 1984 and I think a lot of metal bands were burned out by then. They had cranked out a new album every year for how long?

I feel there was a huge transition during that period in heavy rock and metal and in 1986 when Queensryche printed "Rage for Order" everything changed. The world turned in the metal world and a "new sound" had finally solidified. Priest came out with "Turbo Lover" that year. That was a trippy change. Lots of synth guitar on that album; but it was done so well I thought. I guess what I mean to say is production took a huge turn between 84 and 86. Just my opinion.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

jmoose
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by jmoose » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 pm

lyman wrote:
MikeCzech wrote:A rainbow in the dark... Hmmm, I think that's code talk for GAY ORGY....
no no, you're thinking of "bon jovi."
Is there really a difference? :lol:

There was some shreadin' Dio tune on the radio about a week ago...forget what the name of it was but it was nowhere near as cheesy as "Rainbow" or "Holy Diver".

'Ya know I probably shouldn't admit that I one point I was in a band that played BOTH 'Holy Diver' and 'Dead or Alive'.

Oh crap.
J. 'Moose' Kahrs
mixer|producer|audio engineer
www.mooseaudio.net

www.oxidelounge.com

Dingo
pushin' record

Post by Dingo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 pm

After seeing this post I bought Rainbow from itunes and have been listening to it constantly. Still of the night by whitesnake still holds up too. Check it out...AND ROCK!!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 am

Dingo wrote:After seeing this post I bought Rainbow from itunes and have been listening to it constantly. Still of the night by whitesnake still holds up too. Check it out...AND ROCK!!
I saw Whitesnake in 1990 (or something like that) when Coverdale and Steve Vai were part of the group and Still of the Night was a powerful experience. That tune does definitely rock.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna