difference between AKG 414 B-XLS & 414 B-XL II ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

difference between AKG 414 B-XLS & 414 B-XL II ?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:28 am

i've been reading about them on various websites and such, and now i am interested in hearing from some folks who use one or the other, or both, about the differences. so if any of you have any input....

.rs.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:03 am

Hi,
Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but I got a great answer from "Professor" a few weeks back when asking about transformer vs. transformerless mics.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... a37f57e020

His detailed response is the 10th on the first page.

Check it out

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:32 am

I have a matched pair of the new gold ones with the LED's, and I have an old silver one (I can never remeber the exact model numbers of these things).
The new gold pair I have are decent, but boring. They are average in every way.
They're used for almost nothing but overheads and toms for me.

I actually like the old silver one better for almost every application.
I thought the gold ones were transformerless. I'm not sure though.

clineaudio
audio school

Re: difference between AKG 414 B-XLS & 414 B-XL II ?

Post by clineaudio » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:36 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:i've been reading about them on various websites and such, and now i am interested in hearing from some folks who use one or the other, or both, about the differences. so if any of you have any input....

.rs.
Both are transformerless, the XLS is based on their 80's revision of the 414, with a "flat"-er capsule. The XLII is based on the C12 capsule, a little more of that "presence" curve so common in microphone design, hence the $100ish difference.

Also, for explanations about the chronology of the 414, this is straight from horse's mouth:
http://media.zzounds.com/media/c414xls_ ... c3855a.pdf

I too am getting itchy palms about getting these, and am leaning strongly toward the XLII, as the c12 is one of my fave vocal mics ever made. Secondly, versatility. Thirdly, I always kinda thought the reqular 414 was a little "flat" sounding, great, but I like the idea of a little more "exciting" curve.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:15 pm

AKG says that both designs are transformerless, in that neither one has a transformer "in the signal path". But if you look at pages 7 & 8 of that PDF file linked above, there's something that looks a hell of a lot like a transformer in the middle of the first mic that isn't present in the second.
It of course identifies the part as the 'DC converter circuitry' which makes perfect sense since that's what transformers can do very well, convert the 48v incoming power to something else like perhaps 80v for the mic circuitry. Even the reviewer from PAR (I think) saw the device in there and asked them about it. And while it may not be 'in the signal path' it most certainly would have an effect on the voltage delivered to the mic especially when the mic demands more juice to reproduce low frequency materials.

Now I don't know why they are so adament about not calling that a transformer, 'cause there ain't no shame in having a transformer in the mic. Indeed, I think it's really cool that I could choose to have one or the other or both and be able to change the mic character in that way. In my MBHO system mic kit I have a pair of transformerless 603 preamp bodies and a pair of transformer-bearing 648 preamps, and I can choose one over the other for each application.

-Jeremy

clineaudio
audio school

Post by clineaudio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Prof. I actually saw your discussion about this in another thread, later yesterday. Thx for posting in this one.

As I said previously, I'm leaning towards the 414 tlII (pair) for classical room recording, as my main pair and/or spot mics. Also, I think they're great guitar/cabinet and ...maybe (check me on this)... w/ the c12 capsule a vocal mic on occassion

Opinions on this capsule vs other? Also I just found out today that a "matched pair" is an additional 300$ plus. Seems a bit much, just to have sequential SN#. I could care less about sequential, I'd rather have them be tested to match. Would I notice a huge difference simply buying two mics piece-meal?

Thanks!

robmix
pluggin' in mics

Post by robmix » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:44 pm

I've got a pair of TLII's bought at different times from different dealers and they make a very good stereo pair. I've never heard any wierdness when using them in a stereo application.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:35 pm

clineaudio wrote:Prof. I actually saw your discussion about this in another thread, later yesterday. Thx for posting in this one.

As I said previously, I'm leaning towards the 414 tlII (pair) for classical room recording, as my main pair and/or spot mics. Also, I think they're great guitar/cabinet and ...maybe (check me on this)... w/ the c12 capsule a vocal mic on occassion

Opinions on this capsule vs other? Also I just found out today that a "matched pair" is an additional 300$ plus. Seems a bit much, just to have sequential SN#. I could care less about sequential, I'd rather have them be tested to match. Would I notice a huge difference simply buying two mics piece-meal?

Thanks!
Mine are a dead mint matched pair (consecutive serial #'s) and I'd sell them.
PM me if you're interested.

Professor

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:16 am

clineaudio wrote:Opinions on this capsule vs other? Also I just found out today that a "matched pair" is an additional 300$ plus. Seems a bit much, just to have sequential SN#. I could care less about sequential, I'd rather have them be tested to match. Would I notice a huge difference simply buying two mics piece-meal?
Ideally a matched pair of mics are going to be matched sonically and not just by serial number. However, I've noticed that some companies do have matched pairs that are also consecutive. My TLM-193 pair is matched and consecutive as are my Gefell M-930s. I don't think the C-414b/ULS special edition pair are consecutive, and I know that my two Earthworks pairs are not. On the other hand, when I hold the frequency charts for the M-930s up together, they are perfectly matched all the way across at 0? and have a few tiny little spots where they are like 0.5dB off for the 180? plot. It's insane, and yet they're consecutive. Either the quality control borders on religious, or they don't number them until they match them.

Jeremy

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:53 am

thanks Professor. i checked out that other thread.... very helpful. you should write a book man. 8)
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Professor

Post by Professor » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:10 pm

My plan is to just have a student employee gather up all my posts and compile them into the book. :D

-J

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:00 pm

Professor wrote:My plan is to just have a student employee gather up all my posts and compile them into the book. :D

-J
good enough for me.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY