Charlie Parker

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:52 pm

If yout think Miles had no chops, you need to talk to a trumpet player. You also need to listen to a Miles record that isn't listed as an influence for Kid A. Ever transcribe anything off the 1964 My Funny Valentine/Four and More records? there are some fucking HIGH notes on there that most trumpet players can't hit, but delivered with such a round and warm sound that they don't seem that high. Even classical guys i know sweat the tone that he got out of the horn. Yes, he's no Freddie Hubbard in terms of density and plurality of notes... but the shit he played... fucking hell. He was pretty much at the forefront conceptually of every post bop innovation leading up to free jazz, where he decided he wanted to be a rock star instead.

yes, his shit in the 80's stunk. at least he was trying stuff, though. Buy these albums and tell me if he's over-rated as a horn player: Water Babies, Miles Smiles, 1964: My Funny Velentine/Four and More, Plugged Nickel Boxed set, Milestones, On the Corner...

j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:12 pm

toaster3000 wrote:yes, his shit in the 80's stunk.
Dude, We Want Miles. Even some of those lame records like The Man With The Horn had some cool tunes on them. "Decoy," "What It Is," "You're Under Arrest." What was the other one with Mike Stern, Al Foster, Bill Evans and Tom Barney? Man, I'm totally spacing on it right now.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by cgarges on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:14 pm

True Chris... but you get my point... all in all, the 80's were the weak link in his artistic output...

J

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:30 pm

Yeah, but everyone always talks about how bad his 80s stuff sucks. Not all of it did. He wrote some great shit in there and he still maintained some kick-ass bands during that period. Sco, Stern, Marcus Miller, Foley, Kenny Garret, Al Foster, Daryl Jones,
Joey DeFrancesco, Omar Hakim, Don Alias... Not too shabby.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 pm

I agree. I like Amandla. Tutu is great. but I feel like in the 80's the aesthetic of the records came down to who produced in... the Marcus Miller records sound like a Marcus record with Miles on trumpet... I dunno. I don't hate them, but for the most part I don't find them to be as much of a contribution to the art as his earlier work.

John

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:40 pm

toaster3000 wrote:I feel like in the 80's the aesthetic of the records came down to who produced in...
Ironic that (in my opinion) the worst of those records was produced by Teo Macero.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:42 pm

Totally... I'm not really into any of that stuff, but I don't diss it or hate it... which 80's stuff did Teo produce? I'm not too up on my 80's Miles discography...

j

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:43 pm

toaster3000 wrote:which 80's stuff did Teo produce?
The Man With The Horn

CG

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Oh no... is that the one with the rap stuff on it? THe super hurting shit?

For my own tastes, I think the 60's quintet was the pinnacle of Miles work, although i love the electric stuff, my favourite stuff is the 2 quintets up through In a Silent Way...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who likes jazz on here... :?

Anyway... I think even up till the end, Miles' trumpet playing was great... his lines and phrasing were always musical and fresh, even on shit like the 'time after time' cover, which i personall find nauseating, although he SOMEHOW makes it work....

J

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:35 am

i started reading the Miles autobio last night. first chapter was great at least! someone told me that Miles talks about how he doesnt like Ornette Coleman's music. cant wait to get there!

I just came across a Parker recording where he and Diz are playing an outtake of Koko and they play the head then go into Cherokee. its great because the producer or someone within voice-shot of the mic stops the whole thing loudly and you can hear the beginning of a scolding telling them that they cant play that song. I guess they didn't have copyright clearance for the melody to Cherokee, but if they use the chord changes who would know!
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Wait till you get to the chapter about Bill Graham and Steve Miller, if you like the stuff about Ornette Coleman.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Yeah I have been wanting to read Miles autobiography. I hear its just insane...

Anyway back to Charlie Parker....

ukejammin
audio school

Post by ukejammin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:29 pm

There's a section in the Miles autobi which has him describing Barbara Bush as looking like George Washington.

BWAAHAHAHA

Much love springs up whenever I hear Saeta off Sketches of Spain. The solo section is supposed to be the Holy Mother's crying lament as Christ is being led to crucifiction. It is a huge ceremony during Easter week I guess. Miles' just nails the emotion and it really gets to me.