Looking for ProTools PC person

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

UnfinishedSide
audio school

Looking for ProTools PC person

Post by UnfinishedSide » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:36 pm

I'm in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, have a home studio and am having severe computer woes. Can anyone recommend a good computer person that is reasonably priced who could help me out.

Thanks.

Tom C.
audio school graduate

Post by Tom C. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:00 pm

Hey Unfinished Side,

What seems to be the problem?

T

UnfinishedSide
audio school

my trouble

Post by UnfinishedSide » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:51 am

Well, I'm running XP on a very nice less than 2 year old machine that was purchased through Sweetwater. Sweetwater support has been very good, but I think for them to be helpful with this problem, I'd need to ship it to them which I am trying to avoid. I'd really like to find a local person who can help.

I have an ProTools 002 rack with version 6.9LE. I really don't do anything fancy on this thing. Rarely do I record more than one track at a time. I do a bit of sound for picture. I also use SoundForge, iTunes, and maybe some other stuff. I've recently started using the MME Helper application from ProTools to manage what is using my WaveDriver. At this point i'm suspicious of the WaveDriver, but I am suspicious of everything at the moment.

So, about 2 weeks ago my computer starting acting oddly. Taking too long on start up. Then one day it just wouldn't start saying that it could find the the /system/config file or that it was corrupt. I thought perhaps I had shut off the power supply to quickly and messed up the last shut down. In any case, after a long day I was forced to totally wipe my C drive (i have 2 drives one for apps one for audio/work) and reinstall XP. I did that successfully, I reinstalled all software, updated everything (windows service pack 2). Things seemed OK.

But, starting up slowly became a little weird again. Freezing on startup, etc. Then after a day of good trouble-free work, I was trying to use SoundForge and the program couldn't recognize the Digi ASIO driver. It used to (before the last crash - this was the first time I'd tried since then) just fine. So, as a stopgap, I put SoundForge in the MME Helper list of things to use the WaveDriver. Then I tried SoundForge and it worked for about 20 seconds and then I froze and then the screen went to black.

Now it won't start saying that it can't find the System/Config file or it's currupt.

I am very anxious and frustrated.

Any ideas.?

Thanks for asking.

-Stuart

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

service pack 2

Post by supafuzz » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:55 am

It may have something to do with window service pack 2
I remember reading oof incompatabilities with protools
you may want to uninstall that and start again without it

just another idea
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3