sgt. pepper

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

strangefruit
ass engineer

sgt. pepper

Post by strangefruit » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 am

Something must've happened during the sessions of this record...aside of all the Lucy Sky Diamonds... this album is a momento of evolution, it was a true miracle...man...I am just so blown away...

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:13 am

I personally think it's a sorta half-assed masterpiece. Half of it is just incredible, the other half simply incredulous. I mean, "Mr Kite", "Good Morning", "Lovely Rita", "64"..... some of my least favourite Beatle songs actually. Now if they had only put "Strawberry Fields / Penny Lane" on it instead of releasing 'em as a double A side...

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:26 am

I'd have to say that Lovely Rita is one of my all-time Beatles faves - and Sgt. Pepper's is simply brilliant to me.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 am

There are some great tracks on Pepper's, but I think "Revolver" is a better album.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:14 am

I really love st. pepper..really anything they did but that album gets more credit than it deserves for being innovative..sunshine superman by donovan did some of that stuff first or at least before they did it on st. pepper for example..the album art is so fresh..the "group shot" particularly..all in all a sweet album that I will go back to time and time again..

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:35 pm

I like pepper. I think it has a bit of a backlash for being overhypped.

My only complaint with it is the drums sound like they were bounced one too many times. You compare it to Revolver, and it just doesn't sound nearly as big, IMO. I really think it's an injustice to Ringo.

mcfl0nuz
gettin' sounds

Post by mcfl0nuz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:50 pm

"A Day In the Life"

amazing tune! a handful of classics for sure...

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:34 pm

votemiles wrote:I personally think it's a sorta half-assed masterpiece. Half of it is just incredible, the other half simply incredulous. I mean, "Mr Kite", "Good Morning", "Lovely Rita", "64"..... some of my least favourite Beatle songs actually. Now if they had only put "Strawberry Fields / Penny Lane" on it instead of releasing 'em as a double A side...
"Good Morning" is vile, but I love all the others.

"Strawberry Fields" & "Penny Lane" were recorded quite a bit before Sgt. Peppers and released as singles before Sgt. Pepper's, which is why they wound up as cuts on Magical Mystery later, and not on Sgt. Pepper's. They could have really ditched Good Morning in favor of one of them, though.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

horsemachine
audio school

beat them pagan skins

Post by horsemachine » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Listen to how deep Ringo's drums are on this record. I can't get over how good they sound - Geoff Emerick is a genius.

herodotus
pluggin' in mics

Post by herodotus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:01 pm

What is it with the Ringo-love on this board?

I mean, the Beatles were great songwriters and all, but Ringo?

He always sounded just barely adequate to me.

Can someone explain this?

I don't want to insult anyone, but this one really mystifies me.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:03 pm

herodotus wrote:What is it with the Ringo-love on this board?

I guess it depends on what you like in terms of drum sounds and drumming. To me, the beauty of Ringo resides in two areas - the sound of his drums on the Beatles records, and the way he'd fall into fills and rolls.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:37 pm

It's all about his sound and feel. Both of which are perfect.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:06 pm

good morning is amazing...
all summer i would wake up early drink water and water the plants while listening to that one...

lovely rita is one of my favorite beatles songs...

now Lucy in the sky i can't stand...

anyone have a mono copy of this record...?

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

e

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:16 pm

I don't understand why so many people think he was barely adequate. He was, in fact, a pretty damn good drummer. Listen to Live At The BBC for evidence of this.

The only reason Paul ever played drums on anything was because Paul had very specific ideas a a few things that Ringo wasn't quite doing- and Paul is a good drummer himself. That, and Ringo was absent for a few recording dates.

Yeah, the sound of the drums on a lot of those records is incredible- "Strawberry Fields" has amazing drum sounds especially.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:26 pm

"Barely adequate" is a phrase that's in the same ballpark as other criticisms I hear of Ringo, Charlie Watts, etc. from guys who are very into drummers like Neil Peart. Not that there's anything wrong with Neil Peart, but it's two entirely different styles of drumming, and Ringo's is decidedly less flashy than Peart's. It's also completely appropriate for the music the Beatles were making--as Peart's drumming is appropriate for Rush. Some people confuse "not flashy" with "not capable." That's a mistake. Ringo was capable of playing some technically impressive stuff when it was called for, but most of the time it wasn't. He played parts that were well thought out and very musical. Tasteful. And rock-solid as well...I've only ever heard him rush the beat on one song--and I think that was deliberate.

Hope this helps.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/