sgt. pepper

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:36 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:

anyone have a mono copy of this record...?
This is great and what I was thinking when I was riding home on the Metro today. Because of this thread I decided to listen to Sgt. Pepper's on the iPiddy. Some of the hard-panning is really hard for me to listen to with headphones--yes, headphones. Sometimes the hard-panning makes the insides of my head uncomfortable with phones.

The hard-panning on the White Album isn't as jarring and much more pleasant with headphones.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: e

Post by cgarges » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:03 pm

jeddypoo wrote:The only reason Paul ever played drums on anything was because Paul had very specific ideas a a few things that Ringo wasn't quite doing- and Paul is a good drummer himself. That, and Ringo was absent for a few recording dates.
The only thing Paul played on was "Back In The USSR," which he did when Ringo quit the band.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:30 pm

The only thing Paul played on was "Back In The USSR," which he did when Ringo quit the band.
I think he also played on "Dear Prudence" during that time, and later on, "Ballad of John and Yoko" as well.
"Strawberry Fields" & "Penny Lane" were recorded quite a bit before Sgt. Peppers and released as singles before Sgt. Pepper's, which is why they wound up as cuts on Magical Mystery later, and not on Sgt. Pepper's. They could have really ditched Good Morning in favor of one of them, though.
Actually, they were already starting to record material for the new album in Nov 66 (Strawberry Fields). Pressure from Brian Epstein and EMI led George Martin to issue a super-strong double A sided single for the Christmas period, a decision he still regrets to this day!

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:57 am

well as long as we're at it...
i was a pepper hater for years....it seems too scattered or frothy...
i snobied out with revolver and the white album...passing on abbey road even...
and now i lose it for the lot of them...

and yes...at 1min into "Strawberry Fields"
the beat gets nuts...
i wanted to believe that was just ringo...
just ringo banging like a madman....but of course this isn't the case...
still for a second i though if anybody could pull it off....it might be ringo...
how about the into to Sgt. Pepper Reprise...
that thing is amazing..

Sir Ringo is the coolest beatle...ask anyone...

anyone heard a mono copy of the white album?
hubba hubba...me wanna bad time big time!

dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

Post by dr.ona » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:43 am

didn't paul play the drums on "love me do?"
i dont think ringo was in the band at the time of the recording and pete best had just been fired......i think?
"My 75 jazz bass turned me into a hunchback"

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:17 am

dr.ona wrote:didn't paul play the drums on "love me do?"
i dont think ringo was in the band at the time of the recording and pete best had just been fired......i think?
I think that was a session guy, Alan White(?).

Put me in the "Pepper is overhyped" camp. Its still a good record, but I don't think its as good as its made out to be. Lots of cool sounds, but not nearly as cohesive songwise as all their previous albums.

I like the stripped-down "Good Morning" on Anthology 2 a lot better.....tons of those Ringo drums.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:17 am

votemiles wrote:I think he also played on "Dear Prudence" during that time, and later on, "Ballad of John and Yoko" as well.
Good call.
dr.ona wrote:didn't paul play the drums on "love me do?"
That was Andy White. He was a session drummer who had worked for George Martin. He played on the single version, although there is an earlier take from a session with Ringo that was released.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:19 am

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:well as long as we're at it...
Why Don't We Do It in the Road's one minute, forty-one seconds rules anything on Sgt. Pepper.

While I wouldn't say I'm a pepper hater, I do think its biggest accomplishments are technical. I don't think it is as meaty on any level as many of their other albums. Perhaps just a tad too much silly psychedelia--John's voice on helium, all of the trippy "aaaaaah aaaah's",

The White Album is the true masterpiece. The songs, arrangements, recording, playing, and singing are all right there. Much more rootsy while remaining obviously experimental.

Does anyone know if the real band-type songs on White were recorded as a band? That is Helter Skelter, Yer Blues (aside from the obvious edit), Revolution.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

w

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:39 am

Rufer wrote:
r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:well as long as we're at it...
Why Don't We Do It in the Road's one minute, forty-one seconds rules anything on Sgt. Pepper.

While I wouldn't say I'm a pepper hater, I do think its biggest accomplishments are technical. I don't think it is as meaty on any level as many of their other albums. Perhaps just a tad too much silly psychedelia--John's voice on helium, all of the trippy "aaaaaah aaaah's",

The White Album is the true masterpiece. The songs, arrangements, recording, playing, and singing are all right there. Much more rootsy while remaining obviously experimental.

Does anyone know if the real band-type songs on White were recorded as a band? That is Helter Skelter, Yer Blues (aside from the obvious edit), Revolution.

Paul played everything on "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?".
"Yer Blues" was recorded live, in the smallest room they had, I believe. Killer performances.

My favorite is still "Rubber Soul". It's got the nicest combination of innocence and druggy weirdness.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

Ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ian » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:12 am

and yes...at 1min into "Strawberry Fields"
the beat gets nuts...
i wanted to believe that was just ringo...
just ringo banging like a madman....but of course this isn't the case...
still for a second i though if anybody could pull it off....it might be ringo...
how about the into to Sgt. Pepper Reprise...
that thing is amazing..

I think some of the weirdness we hear in SF could be due to the fact that they combined two very distinct different takes together to make the sound. One take was sped up to match tempo.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:00 am

votemiles wrote:I personally think it's a sorta half-assed masterpiece. Half of it is just incredible, the other half simply incredulous. I mean, "Mr Kite", "Good Morning", "Lovely Rita", "64"..... some of my least favourite Beatle songs actually. Now if they had only put "Strawberry Fields / Penny Lane" on it instead of releasing 'em as a double A side...
personally, i would throw in strawberry fields and penny lane and omit "she's leaving home" and "when i'm 64."

but it's pretentious for me to make that statement. they're the beatles. i'm just some dude.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:07 am

well there's that booltleg with something like 27 versions of strawberry fields on it....i've heard about 12...

so at 1min put those nice headphones on...oh shit thats a good beat!!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:23 pm

Nicely put dwlb.

Ringo was a very big part of the Beatles, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

If you don't believe me listen to the way the Abe Laborial Jr. is ruining the Beatle tunes live with Paul Mac.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:03 am

drumsound wrote:Nicely put dwlb.
Thank you.

drumsound wrote:Ringo was a very big part of the Beatles, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

If you don't believe me listen to the way the Abe Laborial Jr. is ruining the Beatle tunes live with Paul Mac.
I dunno, Abe plays some nice stuff, tho it's mostly on the Wings tunes. "Let Me Roll It" has never rocked so hard.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

eric b
audio school

Post by eric b » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:32 am

votemiles wrote:
I think he also played on ... "Ballad of John and Yoko" as well.
!
thats what i thought too. it was only him and john in the studio and he did bass and drums and john did vox, guitar and that wacky slide part.