sgt. pepper

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 am

"personally, i would throw in strawberry fields and penny lane and omit "she's leaving home" and "when i'm 64."

but it's pretentious for me to make that statement. they're the beatles. i'm just some dude."

Well, it may be pretentious, but I think that's a good call. I find it hard to believe someone would want to exclude Good Morning and keep She's Leaving. That song is Mac at his worst. It's as unlistenable as an E Street sax solo. And When I'm 64 should be placed in the same bag as the earlier McCartney mindlessness like Love Me Do.

What is it about Good Morning you people don't like? Just the fact that it has animal sounds? The horns on that song are some of the most awesome, agressive and downright cool-ass horns I can think of. It's not one of their lyrical masterpieces, but who cares? Niether is Why Don't We Do It In The Road.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:34 am

The horns on that song are some of the most awesome, agressive and downright cool-ass horns I can think of.
to only be topped by "Savoy Truffle" <--my favorite george song...

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:18 pm

I like Frank Zappa's spoof on Sergeant Peppers (We're Only in it for the Money) a thousand times better than I like the Beatles' record -- the music's hipper, the musicians more talented, and it has a sense of humor.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:22 pm

well that's the only zappa album i actually like....
but to say that the musics hipper or that the musicians are more talented...?

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Cool,

Okay, i'm taking a note. Mr. Time likes "We're Only In It For The Money" So far, there's that one, and mmmm, oh yeah, Lightnin Hopkins.

Actually, he didn't actually say that he liked it, just that he liked it a thousand times better than Sgt. Pepper. But that's good enough for me.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:38 pm

1) "We're only in it..." is my second-least favorite Zappa record, actually, right after "Hot Rats." (You want a really good Zappa record fro that period, try "Absolutely Free.") But it's nice to read something at least semi-positive from hammer.

2) "Good Morning" may seem like some namby-pamby pop song to some, but hell--it starts out with the surgeon throwing up his hands with almost complete apathy: "nothing to do to save his life, call his wife in." You can almost hear the "ah, hell, one more thing I gotta do before I can have a cigarette break" in the delivery. He goes right on to make small talk with co-workers, try to pick up chicks, and finally goes home to veg in front of the television. The man's death that started is day means absolutely nothing to him. It's so badass, that. A sunny, cheery song about a totally worthless guy. Zappa's satires on "WoIiFTM" were fun, but nowhere near as subtle.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:41 pm

In my opinion, the album doesn't sound all that great, the songs are a bit corny, and it has a pretentious vibe in a sort of Wagnerian way. I don't even think it's one of the Beatle's better albums. I can sort of see why people like it, though.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:49 pm

hammertime wrote:In my opinion, the album doesn't sound all that great, the songs are a bit corny, and it has a pretentious vibe in a sort of Wagnerian way. I don't even think it's one of the Beatle's better albums. I can sort of see why people like it, though.
I'll give you corny (When I'm 64 is cheeseball), and I'll give you "not one of the better albums" since I much prefer The White Album and Revolver. I don't have a problem with the sound of the record, developmentally I think it sits well where it is.

Some people like Wagner though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:05 pm

honkyjonk wrote:..Well, it may be pretentious, but I think that's a good call. I find it hard to believe someone would want to exclude Good Morning and keep She's Leaving. That song is Mac at his worst. It's as unlistenable as an E Street sax solo. And When I'm 64 should be placed in the same bag as the earlier McCartney mindlessness like Love Me Do..
It would be very weird if 'leaving', '64', and 'being for the benefit' weren't on there, since my 7 year old self loved those tracks and listened to them over and over (along with beach Boys '4 by the beach Boys and bee gees 1st). I don't much care for them now (except for 'mr. kite'), but I'm glad they were there when i was little.
beware bee wear

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:36 pm

By the way, I don't want to offend anybody (I quit drinking as of jan 1st, so I'm less combative). There are better musicians than I am, and more productive members of society, who like music that I don't. Just my opinion. Personally, I like the Beatles stuff circa Help, Revolver, and Rubber Soul a bit better -- it had less of that Wagnerian vibe, and more of a good-time rock and roll feel. I'm not that much into rock as social protest, or as some preachy form of the super-ego -- but I guess some people like that kind of stuff, too. I still have every Beatles Record, I have the Complete Beatles Scores (which is a great book), and I've learned every song off of Sgt. Peppers, so I wouldn't put them in the same class as some of the "egregious, execrable, hoky poky horse manure" that I've criticized on this board.
hammertime wrote:In my opinion, the album doesn't sound all that great, the songs are a bit corny, and it has a pretentious vibe in a sort of Wagnerian way. I don't even think it's one of the Beatle's better albums. I can sort of see why people like it, though.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:20 pm

Father "Hammer" Time - I like the new and improved hammertime - props for quittin' drinkin'. Good to have you back in fine form.

Just tonight I happened to be reading a "best of" Lester Bangs book and he had some thoughts on Sgt. Pepper (written a few years after it dropped): He said it had the unfortunate effect of making music unbearable for the three years that followed its release, in that it made the hipsters of that time even more deadly serious than dope had done. Or something like that.

I'm stuck on thinking of Sgt. Pepper as a technical/study piece and Revolver and Abbey Road as the old standbys. That's just me.

strangefruit
ass engineer

Post by strangefruit » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 am

how come no one mentioned George Martin? Without George, there'd be no st. pepper, no revolver, no nothing! Sir Martin was magic.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:10 am

dwlb wrote:
drumsound wrote:Nicely put dwlb.
Thank you.

drumsound wrote:Ringo was a very big part of the Beatles, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

If you don't believe me listen to the way the Abe Laborial Jr. is ruining the Beatle tunes live with Paul Mac.
I dunno, Abe plays some nice stuff, tho it's mostly on the Wings tunes. "Let Me Roll It" has never rocked so hard.
Abe might play the Wings stuff fine, but he just fucking ruins the Beatles songs. Ringo played in front of the beat and English drummers generally push. Laborial JR, plays about three blocks behind the beat and just sits there. It makes me angry to hear him play those songs. He's not playing in a band that is 're-interpreting" those songs, he's playing them with Paul McCartney. Abe seems to be playing against the band not as a member of it. Paul could have any drummer on the planet, why a guy who plays some of his best songs so badly?

A good friend of mine and I had this same conversation the other day. He's a drummer too and he also couldn't understand it.