Aimee Mann, Bachelor No. 2

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Aimee Mann, Bachelor No. 2

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:21 am

I am so sensetive... I love this album... :lol:

I think this is quite a tremendous recording, with excellent production and engineering. Somehow, even though it has all the kind of typical late 90's lofi drum loops and stuff, i think it works because the overall personality of the recording is still somehow humble and intimate.

And she has one of the sexiest voices ever, I think..

Discuss...

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:26 am

Aimee Mann is great. I love that record too. Her voice is mixed so loud, it's great.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:30 am

Aah... Aimee Mann. She's got me totally under her spell.

Her singing on "Two of Us" from the I Am Sam soundtrack is some of the finest music I've ever heard. All of the albums rule. Even "Voices Carry" is nice to my ears now that I am so mesmerized by her later stuff.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:44 am

Great one. That's Mike Denneen, right? He's awesome. She's not working with him anymore though now that she moved to LA. He didn't finish Lost in Space (also amazing) and he is SORELY missed on her latest The Forgotten Arm. Jon Brion had a big part in Bach No. 2 from what I understand too.

Jon Brion did the Magnolia Soundtrack. That's hot too...

Mike Denneen also did this awesome band called Loveless which is one of the best bands I've EVER seen live. theyre great. www.lvls.com . Mastered WAY too loud, but that's almost okay. If you like your guitars doubled and loud as shit with enormous drums and loud bass with GREAT songwriting, then youll love this record. Jen Trynin, Mike Denneen's wife, is playing guitar and singing backups on that record too. She even had her own 2 records out which are done by Denneen and are only a solid mediocre. She actually has a book out right now too...something about the music business.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:02 pm

Tatertot wrote:Aah... Aimee Mann. She's got me totally under her spell.

Her singing on "Two of Us" from the I Am Sam soundtrack is some of the finest music I've ever heard. All of the albums rule. Even "Voices Carry" is nice to my ears now that I am so mesmerized by her later stuff.
I realized much later why I didn't like "Voices Carry." I was hearing the radio mix! the album version is completely different and devoid of many of the '80s pop production cliches that made the single so godawful. That whole 'Til Tuesday record is really charming. "J For Jules" is a gorgeous song.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:08 am

I actually saw Til Tuesday open for Petty back around '84 or '85 (Poplar Creek.)

I remember my seats were 14th row, the band was good, the guitarist ambi-sexual, an' Ms. Mann so hot that I later wanted to be Michael Penn, which is sad.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:34 pm

She rocks. I just read her interview in the Onion AV Club again last night while I was making back-ups. Great stuff. her husband's no slouch, either.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:41 pm

she's a great songwriter and that carries her records, but a lot of the production and overall sonics bug the shit out of me. i borrowed bach no.2 from my girlfriend and it stayed in my car for almost a month.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:00 pm

anybody like any of her other stuff? I can't get into the new one though...The Forgotten Arm. just cant get into the tunes, but i LOVED Lost in Space, especially all the hot tunes and live stuff on disc 2 if you have the 2 disc one.
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly