food for the sampler...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

food for the sampler...

Post by mrdazobee » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a sample cd that features 60's drum kits?I was thinking say Ringo's Ludwig type sounds,not loops but individual hits?...Ta...

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Using a sample CD for 60's drum sounds is like playing a Chuck Berry tune with a synth guitar.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:20 am

Actually, I was going to re-sample them into my sp1200/12 bit sampler for a bit of extra dirt.I have some nice kicks and snares from records here and there but am finding it hard to locate individual cymbals/hats.But hey,thanks for your sarcastic non helpfull comment....

goldenmean
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldenmean » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:54 pm

almost all of those sample cd's have like the worst drum sounds ever and are real overpriced. if you have an sp1200 , you should know the breaks are in the crates!
single hits are real common to find anyway... just scoop some cheap lp's from the 60's and im sure youll find something you can use. ive gotten super heavy room snares off of cheap garbage like lulu records and shit. stuff like donovan, bowie, glen cambell, sandy nelson, bernard purdie all have good sounds.... although i think some of the better single hits are simply sourced off of heavy funk break.

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:05 pm

I tell ya I have about 2000+ records of all types and descriptions and I have plenty of kicks snares and such like,but finding an isolated ride/cymbal is difficult.I have a track ready to roll but just needed the cymbal sound from a 60's record to finnish it off.I have never used or even heard sample cd's but thought I might be able to save time digging.Ah well.....back to the crates!

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:05 pm

You might strike it rich at www.altavista.com now that they have an audio search. I found a few possible candidates by querying for "ride cymbal" including one useless link to a company that makes little boxes that provide audio for amusement park rides. Anyway, I always go to altavista when I need a wav sample of a bluejay song or some such.

MD
gettin' sounds

Post by MD » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:37 pm

These guys are very reasonable. I don't know if they have a 60's style kit, but they are pretty cool folks and could probably make a reccomendation.

http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/

-MD

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:34 pm

There's a Reason CD 'Drummers of Motown'

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

goldenmean
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldenmean » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:52 am

you can usually find open ride cymbals on jazz records... check drummer heavy stuff like any electric miles davis (be patient for open hits) or stripped down stuff like coltrane interstellar space...

i dont know why, but ive found alot alof single hits off of european free jazz records like clusone 3...

alot of times you can fake it by putting a drum machine cymbal in the sampler chopped three ways (attack, middle, full) and pitch it to the other drums.

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:10 am

Of course Jazz records...I have a few coltrane/miles records in my stash I will be heading straight for them! Thanks a bunch for all the other replys!

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:27 pm

mrdazobee wrote:...finding an isolated ride/cymbal is difficult...
Have you already tried some of the Drum Drops samples? I have a lot of luck sampling both phrases and single hits and even ambient room tone from these.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:27 pm

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:04 am

mrdazobee wrote:Can anyone recommend a sample cd that features 60's drum kits?I was thinking say Ringo's Ludwig type sounds,not loops but individual hits?...Ta...
Knights who say Neve wrote:Using a sample CD for 60's drum sounds is like playing a Chuck Berry tune with a synth guitar.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.
mrdazobee wrote:Actually, I was going to re-sample them into my sp1200/12 bit sampler for a bit of extra dirt.I have some nice kicks and snares from records here and there but am finding it hard to locate individual cymbals/hats.But hey,thanks for your sarcastic non helpfull comment....
I thought you were asking for something that would give you the end result of sounding like the 60's. Which, if you're using an sp-1200, is impossible. It will sound like hip-hop no matter what drum sounds you use. "Cymbal rolls sampled from a record made in the 60's", on the other hand, shouldn't be hard to find.
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:53 am

honestly id say get your self a cheap old crash and some hihats and record them yourself... always sounds loads better than sampling / sequencing hats and other cymbals...

mrdazobee
takin' a dinner break

Post by mrdazobee » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:28 pm

You know,that sounds like a good idea.I suppose it would take the "robotic" feel out of playing them with a sequencer.Have you tried this with good results?