Shure SM82 - anyone know how to use this thing?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Shure SM82 - anyone know how to use this thing?

Post by centurymantra » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:48 am

Well, I posted on this board a couple weeks back asking about this mic and decided to pick one up from the pawn shop that had a couple of these. The thing's got me a bit puzzled. This mic is an odd one...a broadcast mic with built in amplifier and limiter that puts out a line level signal. It is set up to use a battery (that's no longer available) or phantom power. Now, seeing it puts out line level, one would not use a preamp for it. I initially assumed I could use the outboard phantom power unit I have and just plug it straight into a compressor and use the gain control to control the level going into the DAW. This really does not work well. Now I'm thinking that I treat this like an instrument and run it into a D.I. input? Anyone out there that can help me with this. The thing's not working well for me and I'm wondering if I should go back and swap it out for the other SM82 they have to determine if this one has problems. It gives out signal but it's weak and kind of weird sounding for lack of better descriptors. Just doesn't seem to be acting as it should.

Here's some info on the mic; http://www.coutant.org/sm82/

Any and all assistance is much appreciated!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:00 am

Those ARE weird, but it should put out some level...

Just try it into a pre. That is how I wound up using it, and it works well as a smashed mayhem mic.

They are certainly weird though.... Try it with a pre.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:28 am

I'll give it another try this weekend. I'll see how it acts through a DI input and right into the pre with it's phantom power. Maybe an in-line attenuator with it?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:39 am

centurymantra wrote:I'll give it another try this weekend. I'll see how it acts through a DI input and right into the pre with it's phantom power. Maybe an in-line attenuator with it?
Dont even bother with the inline pad to start. Just get the thing to slam the pre a little, then make adjustments from there IMO.

You need to hear it hitting the pre. Some pre that takes a whallop well... If you have something with a fader, that would be great. xformer based even better... Let it "grind" a little, then trim it back with the output/ader knob on the pre. Or an actual fader..

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:06 am

Cool...thanks for the tips. I can think of a few interesting uses for it and do have a couple of transformer based pres. Looking forward to giving it a workout now.

On a sidenote, I think I sent you a PM on this that could easily have slipped through the cracks, but was wondering how you have the Moviola Squawk Box rigged up in your studio to use as an amp. I'm guessing it might need some kind of internal wiring modification to get it working this way? It'd be cool to know. I was intrigued by your comments on this thing and ran across one that I was thinking about checking out.

Thanks!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:11 pm

centurymantra wrote:Cool...thanks for the tips. I can think of a few interesting uses for it and do have a couple of transformer based pres. Looking forward to giving it a workout now.

On a sidenote, I think I sent you a PM on this that could easily have slipped through the cracks, but was wondering how you have the Moviola Squawk Box rigged up in your studio to use as an amp. I'm guessing it might need some kind of internal wiring modification to get it working this way? It'd be cool to know. I was intrigued by your comments on this thing and ran across one that I was thinking about checking out.

Thanks!
Have fun with the 82!
As far as the movieola goes:

It just needs a 1/4" input jack. rock is all that is required after that....