Korg Microsynth

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Korg Microsynth

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Just got one of these today and I can believe how totally useful 70% of these sounds are, and the vocorder is pretty dope too.
Anyone else digging the micro?

mindrocket
studio intern

Post by mindrocket » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:08 pm

I just recorded a band that used one.I thought it kicked ass.Handy little unit.

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:11 pm

I've gotten great use from mine. It's even better once you start tweaking sounds.

The only problem I see with good presets is that everyone starts using them. The more you use it, the more you'll hear it in other people's songs.

That said, I'll often find myself using said presets.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:31 pm

I'm with the Alesis Micron...great little live box.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:40 pm

I'm digging the sub-bass in the hip hop section of the keyboard. It sounds sick through a powerful bass rig.
The arpeggio makes me feel like I'm in Grandaddy. I haven't figured out if that's a bad thing or not.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:10 pm

The microkorg rules... the first thing I did when I got it was to go thru and re-save all the presets with the arpeggio and delay turned off. The sounds are really surprisingly useful once you turn off the arp/delays off.

It really sounds great though, in the same kind of intangible way that an SH-09 or other classic monosynth sounds great. It just seems like it was designed to have character, instead of designed for the bland lowest common denominator like most of the synths coming out today are.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:23 pm

i love mine. i find myself sitting down with it, and before i know it, 4 hours have gone by. it's a lot of fun.

fortunately i have a friend who's had his for a lot longer than me too, so i can hit him up for tips when i need to.

very versitile instrument.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:43 pm

LOVE mine as well!
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

soundsubs
studio intern

Post by soundsubs » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 pm

someone said the microsynth (which i love) is a miniaturized engine from the ms2000 (which i hate)

is that true?

still think the alesis micron/ion slays this head to head

--shane

DJ RELAX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by DJ RELAX » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:53 pm

inverseroom wrote:I'm with the Alesis Micron...great little live box.
me too, imho the korgs have a certain 'korg' charachter to them, and the filters in the micron are awsome!

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:45 pm

I LOVE my Korg Micro. The presets are cool, but I've tried to avoid using the straight presets. The variety of sounds you can get - SO easily - by knob tweaking, is awesome.

I know what you mean about the "Grandaddy" thing. If you ask me, it's a good thing! I love the way they use synth lines.

The main downside is that once you start fooling around with it, before you know it, hours have passed by!

It's also a little irritating that the tempo won't stay put across presets when I'm trying out different arpeggiated things. Maybe I just don't know how to do it, and should read the manual, huh?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:55 pm

I really love my MicroKorg. I traded drum lessons for it. The guy didn't even show up for most of the lessons. Its a great little box. I hven't even tried to use it as an effects box yet. I will soon though!

seaneldon
pushin' record

Post by seaneldon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:12 pm

i prefer the alesis micron to the microkorg.

but i prefer the korg ms2000b to the alesis ion.

so i own a micron and an ms2000b rack module. since my MS20 and Odyssey both croaked in the same week (repairs for one of them would be more than i paid for both of them) they've been fitting the bill pretty well. micron bass synths are awesome, and the whole preset rhythm thing comes in handy for live work.

theenvycorps
ass engineer

Post by theenvycorps » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Gonna hijack....sorry.

Can anyone explain the differences (other than the obvious) between the MS2000 and the Microkorg? I'm looking for something under $500 or so that has cool pads and such....think Radiohead's Kid A. Our bassist has a Kstation, what would be a good compliment? I'm not familiar with the Ion/Micron...is that a better route?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:58 pm

for kid a type sounds, id get something old-ish... but polyphonic... like an ensoniq ESQ1 or something wierd like that... maybe a sequential circuits SIX TRAK or something... i was messing around with one of those and i swear i got the 'everything in its right place' sound. the only problem with alot of those synths is the programming interface is kinda shitty... i don:t mind them, but you gotta be cool with cryptic menus and entering numbers and shit like that. no knob twiddling...

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/