I'm going back. Tired of new music.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

I'm going back. Tired of new music.

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:27 pm

For a moment, I thought modern stuff was really getting good. I mean, I discovered Iron and Wine and Calexico and A Band of Bees (their first album!) at about the same time a few years ago, and I think they are pretty frikkin great, but then I foced myself to start trying to like stuff that is tapeop endorsed. Sufjan Stevens is one. Come on guys, he's good compared to ass-shit on the radio, but historically, he's just kind of okay.

Not saying there's nothing good that's new, I'm just saying I'm tired of trying out new shit that tapeop thinks is good.

Next few CD's I'm buying are Kinks and David Bowie albums I don't have.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I'm drunk. Filling in for the Hammer.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 pm

good news....
try making yourself a martini next time...kick it at home with the right kind of glass and an olive...easy chair robe and the vilage green...

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:29 pm

Sure, there's new stuff that gets me excited but sometimes it's hard to find it. I haven't listened to music on the radio in years and I haven't had cable TV in a couple years so I have no exposure to music videos either. I hope that doesn't make me sound like a radio/TV prick cuz I don't think I am and it all came about for different reasons.

a) I didn't want/couldn't justify paying for cable/satellite TV any longer.

and

b) Radio got really boring and the last thing I want to do in my free-time is listen to the radio.

Most of the stuff I listen to is stuff I record for others or albums from bands or producers I've liked for years and years.

I don't know, it could be that I'm cynical or it could be I don't want to be influenced by recordings I don't like. Maybe second-guessing myself on how I do things as opposed to what I think others want to hear?

I think I wish it was still 1957, 1968, 1979, 1985, or 1991.

I'm sure there's a breaking point that's coming soon for this decade.

I guess that's up to us, haha.

BTW - drunk brain-dumps are a good thing... especially a post like yours.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:23 pm

I put on Van Halen's 1984 yesterday and it sounded so good---it was so familiar but from such a distant personal past that I guess I never realized how good it sounded--I was 8 or 9, I guess I didn't know any better. That first synth song caught me by surprised this way. Kind of like, "Oh yeah, this sounds incredible."

Also I'm of course into Tapeoppy roomy-type drums but damn Alex Van Halen's drums sound really neat too.

I hope this kind of applies to this thread.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Rufer wrote:I put on Van Halen's 1984 yesterday and it sounded so good---it was so familiar but from such a distant personal past that I guess I never realized how good it sounded--I was 8 or 9, I guess I didn't know any better. That first synth song caught me by surprised this way. Kind of like, "Oh yeah, this sounds incredible."

Also I'm of course into Tapeoppy roomy-type drums but damn Alex Van Halen's drums sound really neat too.

Oh man, "1984".... love it... as its own thing. Alex's drums are so slappy but I swear that "Hot For Teacher" is pretty much perfect... for what they were going for. It has a style all its own.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:54 pm

Alex's ride bell is what I noticed sounding cool to my ears. I guess it's kind of an 80's cliche now but is nice on that record.

Every instrument sounded distinct and had it's own space on those Van Halen records--definitely a good band.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:20 pm

Rufer wrote:Alex's ride bell is what I noticed sounding cool to my ears. I guess it's kind of an 80's cliche now but is nice on that record.

Every instrument sounded distinct and had it's own space on those Van Halen records--definitely a good band.
Yup yup, we're on the same page... and Alex had those flat plexi drums that gave the slappy-slap... it was all high-end attack with lows... it's still cool today cuz they were getting tones that represented them. At that time I believe they wanted to come up with a standard that other bands wanted... and they did.

They created the 80's cliche as far as I'm concerned. Which isn't a bad thing except for those that tried to re-create it. But like NOW you hear that drum sound with the nu-metal... 20 years later... wow, we're getting old, huh?

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm partly of the old-is-cool school of thought about music as well. I used to be all about new music in high school, until I started to realize how indebted it was to the music which preceded it, which strived for the same things, but often reached its goals with more clarity, depth, and imagination. Modern music seems to have identity issues. It often has trouble making clear decisions to refine its strengths. It's probably because modern music has such a strong sense of history, given that practically all music made within the last century in the entire world is readily accessible, made possible by the technology of recording (that's us!) and distribution technologies (vinyl records, CDs, Internet). Modern music has quite a precedent to address (or ignore). I still like and listen to new stuff. There's just less assurance that a new band will be wonderful in comparison to an older band which everyone has already conceded is wonderful (not that I decide what I like according to concensus), or the new band will be as thrilling as its influences.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:34 pm

Rufer wrote:I put on Van Halen's 1984 yesterday and it sounded so good---it was so familiar but from such a distant personal past that I guess I never realized how good it sounded--I was 8 or 9, I guess I didn't know any better. That first synth song caught me by surprised this way. Kind of like, "Oh yeah, this sounds incredible."

My favorite VH record is Women & Children First, hands down. Done in 5 days.

1984 was a kind of a bummer to me. Lot's of bad feelings amongst the band.
beware bee wear

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:42 pm

I just happened to listen to the "American Top 40" countdown today on the internets. That was the happenin' thing in my life when I was in about fifth grade and INXS were tearing up the charts. It's come a long way. I am so out of touch with the current musics. There's a pretty good new Madonna song. It was kind of a sentimental event for about an hour, but it's pretty hard to stomach that stuff. The Black Eyed Peas song really bugged me.

Was there more variety of timbres and such in the American Top 40 back in 1985? It seems like now everything is either hiphop Black Eyed Peas stuff or postpostpostpunk in the vein of Weezer and Green Day. Hm.

It was almost good to get back in touch with the heartbeat of America's youth or whoever it is that tunes in to the top 40 every week.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:22 pm

I'm pretty happy with my new iPod (I rarely have nice things to say about anything -- ha ha). I just downloaded lectures from Harvard extension, Georgetown law, and I'm sure I'll find some other stuff that's better than the idiot mushhead garbage on t.v. I'm finding some pretty hip music, too. I got a Portland blues station that has local Portland bands, that isn't too bad (better than my radio). I'm sure I'm going to find some off-the-wall shit if I keep looking. As far as alot of this country-pop shit that I hear about on this forum and seeing on garbage shows like Austin City Limits, it's just a jumble of old tired cliche's -- country that some guy learned from a Neil Young or Rolling Stones record, boring guitar solo's, whining lyrics. I almost never hear what inspired me to listen to rock and roll in the first place (even Rap sounds better than most rock today).

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 pm

What bothers me about most new rock & rap is that it bores me more than it challenges me. Like, "This is supposed to be new?"

I am now old enough to be the parent of a teenager. Why aren't younger adults making music that completely confuses me while pissing me off?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:31 pm

What, don't you like Black Eyed PeaZ?

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:40 am

suk...

i like how this thread turned from bowie (davey jones) check "I Dig Everything"
and the kinks...(WonderBoy..+..Days..)

to van halen....gae

this set i played tonite...2nd band played my favourite Bowie Song...
Ziggy=Hang On To Yourself...that was sooo nice..no CLAPS tho' that's the song!!
which David Bowie are you lacking>
which KinKs..
the KinKs are better than the Beatles...
but not as good as the Shaggs....
...Still...
van halen..II...or I..iv is beneath both
minutemen sent a shoutout...that's good enough for me...
steely-dan too....
i really can't stress Steely Dan Enough...soo nasty...+De La...

Old Stuff...
try listening to DooWop...it's soooo tough...rough &tough
my only "USA!" ever..

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:13 am

i did the same went backwards, im 30 now, i got some best of albums, bowie, cat stevens, the who, n i love zepplin but havent got any of there stuff yet... i got the 2 disc best of van halen too... im gettin old or i dont like alot of the newer music.??.. oh do think the killers are funny, kinda like the cure n duran duran on steriods..... i liked the 80s retro sound
is it beer 30 yet?????