Harmony guitars from Korea

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Harmony guitars from Korea

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:59 pm

I got this new guitar with the harmony name but its brand new and made in Korea..I like it..its plays ok and sounds really nice..its a remake of the rocket with a serial # 089 :

but I can't find any info on these Korean versions..I got it from like this shop that sells gold and diamonds and watches..not exacly a pawn shop but not too far off from one..

it says the harmony name is liscenced and its impoted by these people:

http://www.musicorp.com/mbtinternational.asp

who seem to be a 2 room ofice in NC..with no website but an email address

just wondering because its not a bad instrument..I mean its cheapo..but I really like it..

anyone know anything?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:13 pm

That's a score dude.

Can those single-coils be configured to humbuck? If not I'd replace one set of the pickups.

So can I ask? How much it set you back?

Most guitars in the world that don't come from Mexico or the US are made in just a very few shops scattered around SE Asia. The likelihood is that its the same body used by Ibanez for their Artcore series. (Take a look at the hollowbodies at your local GC/SA whatever, or in a Musician's Fiend, and tell me that they're made by different people. Sure.)

The importers order custom configurations of electronics and stuff and then slap a brand on the top.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:54 pm

umm..i was thinking exacthly the same thing the wood and body is the same as those other guitars..

250$ with a nice bag..

I dont know about the pickups..how can i tell if can be converted? It really sounds perfect to me as-is..

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Whoa is that a volume and tone knob for each pick up? crazy...

If it sounds good to you then thats all that matters...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:08 pm

InvalidInk wrote:Whoa is that a volume and tone knob for each pick up? crazy...
yeah and there is a chicken head knob at the top for 1, 2, 3, and all pickups active..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:11 pm

i think all 3 pickups in mine are humbuckers..that might explain the 2 rows on each one..does that sound right?

I dont know about pickups can someone enlighten me..

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:18 pm

hey sir :D

i see you're doing fine! congratulations on the new guitar, im drooling all over here...im also shopping around for a new archtop, and i really wish i could score something like that..you say you got it new? are they reissuing the rockets? humm, i wonder..that would be something..where did you get it btw?

pickups...if you take a closer pic of it, ill be able to tell..they do look like humbuckers from here..

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:29 pm

thinking again, they might be single coils like gretsch has..i think that's harmony used..but i dunno for sure..does it twang a lot? if it does, might be single coils.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:04 pm

Generally, though not always, single-coils have one line of pick-up "dots", and humbuckers have two.

If you get 60hz hum when you put it next to your computer-monitor, they're probably single-coil. If it doesn't, they're probably humbuckers. :)

$250? That's a steal. I'm definitely going to have to look into one of those.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:25 pm

diogo wrote:hey sir :D

i see you're doing fine! congratulations on the new guitar, im drooling all over here...im also shopping around for a new archtop, and i really wish i could score something like that..you say you got it new? are they reissuing the rockets? humm, i wonder..that would be something..where did you get it btw?

pickups...if you take a closer pic of it, ill be able to tell..they do look like humbuckers from here..
hey Diogo! Hows it going?

the pic isn't the one I have exactly..mines black with very different pickups..theres two rows of black lines on each..the pickups are brass coloured..they are pretty silent..and the two rows..I'm thinking humbies..it sounds so freaking great into my music man hd210-130!! 8)

I got it at some crazy store that has diamonds and gold and a few new cheapy type-pretty nice guitars imported from Asia..I can't find a single place online that even has the slightest info..might try the email address of the 2 room office company that the inside label of this guitar says imported it..

it was the only one there..I can ask the owner of the shop how to get another..maybe he would tell me..
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:28 pm

What I was really jealous of was all the firewood!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:31 pm

joelpatterson wrote:What I was really jealous of was all the firewood!
because it was already chopped or the current price of a cord?

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:14 pm

They make the bass guitars?!?

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:46 pm

beard_of_bees wrote:hey Diogo! Hows it going?

the pic isn't the one I have exactly..mines black with very different pickups..theres two rows of black lines on each..the pickups are brass coloured..they are pretty silent..and the two rows..I'm thinking humbies..it sounds so freaking great into my music man hd210-130!! 8)

I got it at some crazy store that has diamonds and gold and a few new cheapy type-pretty nice guitars imported from Asia..I can't find a single place online that even has the slightest info..might try the email address of the 2 room office company that the inside label of this guitar says imported it..

it was the only one there..I can ask the owner of the shop how to get another..maybe he would tell me..
hey Geoff,

nice to see you're digging deep into the guitar side of things :) i still have all your tunes here..is it out yet btw?

humm..so it is indeed new...i caught a look alike (in relation to the picture) right after you posted that, but it was from the 60's..thing with this guitars is that they're very ES135 alike, meaning they're not a full box size (i think yours aint either right?)..that kind of poses a risk when getting a really old one...ive got 2 60 year old archtops (acoustic only), an hofner and a klira, and the you can really tell the age, especially on the klira, cause they're not really full size, and are just laminate..pretty cool sounding though!

thanks anyway! :) i'm looking at some of the new Epi reissues, in particular the new ES175. idd still love to see a pic of yours, the real one! must look great in black. these harmonys are very very cool, you scored big :)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:42 pm

What does full size mean?

I haven't a clue about guitars..I've been playing the same squire strat for 2 years now with a really bad intonation and the strings are rusted and 1" off the fretboard..

mine is black and white actually..the body is about 16"x19"x2.5" deep..the neck seems a bit small to me..21 frets..2 foot from top of headstock to bottom of 21st fret..17"fretboard..