Affordable Condenser Mics?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:41 am

Most of the Audio Technica stuff that I have tried has been great. (to my ears) I have Oktavas, MXLs, Studio Projects, Rode. . .most of your mid level mic cabinet probably! Where are you located in NJ Jeff? Maybe we can schedule a comparison for you?

-James

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:55 am

I have an MXL v67, which I like a lot, although it can be a little sibilant on some singers.

I just picked up an sE Electronics 2200a and am really digging it on my voice. I read somewhere that the 2200a was sonically based on the v67, but am not sure if there is any truth to that. To me they have different sounds... the 2200a is nowhere near as sibilant, but is also more sensitive than the v67 and has a nice smooth bottom end. It also has bass roll-off and -10db pad and a helluva nice shockmount and a decent case. I managed to find one unused (assuming the guy who sold it to me bought it but never used it, as it looked pretty much new in the box) for $240 shipped.

I also have to mention the AT4033, which I bought on the recommendation of several people here. You can find them used for around $200 if you look hard on eBay. They are very versatile mics, and while not necessarily colored, they seem to be pretty honest without that hyped high-frequency thing some of the cheaper LDCs have.

As others mentioned, the ADK Hamburg and Vienna mics get good reviews too.

Hope this helps to thoroughly confuse you. :-)

-Bret

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:21 pm

mingus2112 wrote:Most of the Audio Technica stuff that I have tried has been great. (to my ears) I have Oktavas, MXLs, Studio Projects, Rode. . .most of your mid level mic cabinet probably! Where are you located in NJ Jeff? Maybe we can schedule a comparison for you?

-James
If you end up doing that, I may be interested as well. I could bring my mics too.

-Steve

Bedouin
audio school graduate

Post by Bedouin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:27 am

I was just about to post asking virtually the same thing. I write and record in the basement to keep myself from being bored (doing everything right now with an SM57 and a Tascam USB box).

I was thinking of the AKG C2000, but now I'm reconsidering. I want to get something decent, not just a $100 condenser because it's cheap and works. I'm looking at the Audio Technica pack, but now I'm just confused as to what I should get.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:33 am

its tough to know till you get your grubby little mitts on the mic and start trying it out...
room+you+your style will have a drastic effect on which mic will work...

for what its worth...a good dynamic can be the remedy in some situations..
ev664 all damn day...

JeffPatterson
audio school

Post by JeffPatterson » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks to everyone for the great responses, I really appreciate it. As well, I apologize for not reading this quicker, work is killing me right now! Anyway, I actually live in Jackson, NJ and have an office in North Brunswick, NJ. This information is great and will definitely help me out. I feel like such a tool when I go to some of these music stores, it's obvious that they are just trying to sell based on what offers a greater commission, especially to someone like me that just doesn't have the knowledge...

Best, JP

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:08 pm

JeffPatterson wrote:I feel like such a tool when I go to some of these music stores, it's obvious that they are just trying to sell based on what offers a greater commission, especially to someone like me that just doesn't have the knowledge...

Best, JP
DONT FEEL LIKE A TOOL!!

They're not always trying to screw you. The fact of the matter is that some of them JUST DON'T KNOW!! They really don't. If they were such a great engineer, they wouldn't be working at those big chain stores! Most of these people have little to no knowledge (there are exceptions!) and are just going by what they've heard. If the company purchases a closeout lot of Mics from somewhere, they'll push it! It's the way it goes. You did right by asking here. This is where the knowledge comes in. The store is only for "making a deal" to get what you want for the right price.

-James

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:57 pm

How about PPA? I always wanted to know if their multi-pattern tube condenser for $300 (LD-1)was as good as one might expect now that cheap mics can sound good.

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:58 am

The Cad m179 is a nice and smooth sounding mic... Some say it's boring but I don't like hyped mics so much.. This mic kicks butt on female vocals, guitar cab and toms...

V

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:01 pm

NU-TRA wrote:The Cad m179 is a nice and smooth sounding mic... Some say it's boring but I don't like hyped mics so much.. This mic kicks butt on female vocals, guitar cab and toms...

V
IME the M179 can be a little boring in the solid state world. Hook that mic into a tube driven pre though and it comes alive and sparkles with mids and upper mids that are full of energy and low mids that are a little wooly. I guess you could say transients are a little slow on the 179 but that seems to give it a bit of vintage character IMO. The lows on the 179 rumble really nice. I like it. If you open it up and take a look inside, the build quality is excellent with decent components and rather ruggedly protected and encased. It's a good mic for AC guitar, guitar cabs, male vox, and woodwinds. Haven't used it on drims or percussion so I can't speak to those applications. Good bang for the buck man if you've got tubes in the path.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:07 pm

I've paired it up with my Groove Tubes Brick... I've been experimenting with it as a "FUN" mic... I point it right at the snare about 4 ft back between the hat and rack tom... Beat the shit out of the mic with heavy comp! Cool effect.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:39 pm

m179 kicks a$$ on BeaterSide of kick

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:45 pm

in hypercardiod? How is the rejection?