suzuki qchord/omnichord

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

antonlamont45
gettin' sounds

suzuki qchord/omnichord

Post by antonlamont45 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:50 pm

anybody use suzuki qchord or omnichord? are there any other similar autochord devices that you've seen/played? the qchord has midi, i guess the omnichord doesn't but the omnichord looks like it has nicer sounds. anybody use these?

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:24 pm

We have an Onmichord and use it on a session now and again. Usually when we need something bizzare on a bridge or intro I'll get it out and everyone says "wow, what's that thing!?" Can be really wacked out if you run it through some guitar pedals. Well worth having around. They're not that expensive.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

s00p3rm4n
alignin' 24-trk

Post by s00p3rm4n » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:05 pm

I've got the original omnichord. Have you tried picking the gold stripe on the side? So awesome. Like a gameboy celeste in space.
"He just wants to see boys' Linuses."
-- <i>Arrested Development</i>

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:42 pm

I put a strap on mine and play it live.

rafspielman
pluggin' in mics

Post by rafspielman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the midi on the qchord is really poorly done and hard to get decent use out of. I also remember reading that in general it's kind of crappy.
Saw a group called Black Forest/Black Sea play an old omnichord through a ring mod pedal, and maybe a little delay, too, and it sounded very neat.

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:53 pm

I have the old one no midi... I love it.. I got mine after I saw DEVO use it live.

[/i]

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:37 pm

I've got the original brown one. It became my second circuitry project. You can go nuts on that circuit board with touch contacts. Here's what mine looks like now.

http://www.bplr.com/Images/Circuit_Bend ... ickAss.jpg

Putting touch contacts on the strum bar gives you a cool drone sound, and you can choose different notes from the chord. The touch contacts from the 'chord' section give you a buzzy walking bass line. And the ones for the beat solo out different frequency ranges. You can mix and match different sections to get a million variations. Smearing your damp hand across the beat section gives you a freaky duck like banshee squeal. It also has a pitch bend down touch contact. Tapping it while you strum gives it vibrato.

Here's a sound clip. Pardon the musicianship - i often have friends over to mess with toys, and i just grabbed something as an example ... use your imagination). It's fairly clean, plugged in with a touch of comp and verb:

http://www.bplr.com/Audio/Circuit_Bendi ... ampler.mp3

One other thing that I've found with that little guy is that it makes a killer portable amp for guitar. Somehow (I should go figure out what happened) I turned the in to an out. I added a second out at some point and the first out suddenly became an in as well. It's possible that they're already wired to do this accidentally ... try it out. It comes out the most fucked up trashy blues sound. Kind of reminds me of the Black Keys tone. You can get it really loud and it overdrives both the output stage (i think) and that little speaker.

Justin
Bipolar Production

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

hmm

Post by supafuzz » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:25 am

NU-TRA wrote:I put a strap on mine and play it live.
Nu-TRA plays a strap-on live.
.and you wonder why the other band members
keep their distance on stage
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

NU-TRA
takin' a dinner break

Post by NU-TRA » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:24 am

Haha!!!

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:18 pm

Here you go ... everything you need to know.

http://www.klangbureau.de/Omnibend_E.html
Bipolar Production

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 am

John Noll wrote:We have an Onmichord and use it on a session now and again. Usually when we need something bizzare on a bridge or intro I'll get it out and everyone says "wow, what's that thing!?" Can be really wacked out if you run it through some guitar pedals. Well worth having around. They're not that expensive.
where? i looked on ebay recently and they were pretty expensive.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:33 am

I just looked at the eBay completed listings. There was a model 27 (just like the one we have) that sold for $87. Some others were in the $100 - $130 range. I don't consider that expensive.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:44 am

nah, under $100 isn't bad.

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:31 pm

Yeah, I have one. I haven't used it on any recordings yet. I play Autoharp, so it's useful for working out chord progressions and such in the middle of the night when I don't want to be too noisy.

It's basically a cross between an Autoharp and a cheesy Casiotone keyboard; clearly, I could not resist it.

--K

antonlamont45
gettin' sounds

Post by antonlamont45 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:40 pm

what i read was that the ones with midi do not output the chord notes as midi, but rather output the tonic and then output the tonic with pitch bend data (up a 3rd and a 5th for xample) for the other two notes on different midi channels. can anyone comfirm this? wouldnt this be problematic in a normal sequencing situation?