RNC as a Balanced Mono Compressor??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Roboburger
buyin' gear

RNC as a Balanced Mono Compressor??

Post by Roboburger » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:36 pm

it's a two-channel unbalanced comp, I was gonna wire it up on a TRS patchbay as one spot: Tip-L, Ring-R, S-Ground. A standard 1/4"cable would then ground the input of the R channel and the unit would operate using just the L side.

I could use it as a stereo unit using a standard insert cable: TS ends in the patchbay positions for the L&R signal, and TRS end into the patchbay position for the RNC input. Then do the same thing on the way out: TRS end into the patchbay position for the RNC output, and TS ends into the patchbay stereo destination positions.

But then I thought, since the two sides are discreet, and I can't imagine the circuitry giving a rats' ass that the two signals are the exact same thing just OOP, and I can't see the RNC inverting phase on the channels on either side or both sides... Yeah, I can't link two together for true stereo compression without image drift- but my question is: Will this cute li'l RNC make a decent Balanced Mono Compressor?

I await your comments.

and I did UTFSF, but 30-something pages came up hitting "RNC Balanced". Nyaah.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Try it. That's the best way to find out.
If it sounds good, then it's good. If it tweaks out seeing the high/hot/+ side on one channel and the low/cold/- side on the other, I suspect it will sound like it's unhappy.
Let us know.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:23 pm

Oh, I'm a-gonna try it. I'm just in the middle of a massive re-wire of the ol' studio. I'm having an episode of De-Crapification. I've decided the studio is too complex for it's own good, especially when only 85% of stuff works as it's supposed to. Now that I have a basement at home, I am gonna stack up the broken shit there and have the stu-stu-studio contain the bare minimum of good gear. The concept is that anyone should be able to walk in and be recording in a few minutes, instead of having to get a 20 minute walk through of the various quirks and workarounds.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."