good XLR cables

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

good XLR cables

Post by toothpastefordinner » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:07 am

I would like to get 2 six or eight-foot (-ish) XLR cables. Right now I have BanjoMart Dick Brand(TM) generic mic cables.

Can you recommend something which actually sounds better? Are there cables that do sound significantly better? Am I going to end up on a houseboat recording pink floyd with 20 miles of "directional cable" (jesus christ what's wrong with people) if I go down this road?

Thank you in advance.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:16 am

I never wanted to admit it, but I noticed a pretty big jump from hosa-style whatever cables to Mogami and even Planet Waves. Not to mention, they're way more durable. May want to try www.redco.com, as you can select the cable and connector choice, and it's still cheaper than Mogami list at local store XYZ. I picked up a bunch of Canare in junk bin at local shop here, and that stuff is nice too.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and love the tedium, you could make some.

The Zaolla are supposed to be some of the "best"...pretty expensive, tho.

There's some guy in Italy that sells a $1000 guitar cable.

kb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:20 am

I have been really diging the BLUE "kiwi" and "cranberry" cables. Totally good. Well made, sound good.

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:31 am

my main "critical" mic cable is Monster 1000 as well as the interconnect cables from the "critical" path to comps/eqs or tape deck. This is the path I use for vocals, over dubs, accoustics, mandolins ect. Any time detail is very important. I also have a few other monster cables in the studio too that get used for general duty. But for most everything else, I use good beldon cable and make them myself, or buy from conquest.

Joe

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 am

I like canare star quad, canare L-2T2S, Mogami 2552, 2549, 2791, 2582, Mogami quad..I use mostly the canare quad on my own mics..

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:29 am

I've got several types at my studio from copper to silver. Proco, Planet Waves, Mogami and Zaolla.

For amazing transient clarity, I'd strongly recommend the Zaolla's, however, these will kick you in the nuts price-wise!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:45 am

I use Mogami for just about everything and get such great results that I hardly use anything else. The Silver series XLR's are a ridiculous deal at $20 for 25 ft. cables.

The Mogami Gold series instrument cables absolutely Rock, BTW.

Jeff's right about the Zaolla's though. If you have the budget, they are definitely the most amazing cable around.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:07 am

i use the kiwi cable also
very good cable. keeps its shape really well too, which is somehow comforting

i bought a cranberry cable once and it was broken right out of the packaging. i bought a used one like a year later and it was shorted out in a like a week. no more cranberry cable for me. or BLUE cable for that matter. they have no warranty, or at least none printed on their packaging or website, which i do not understand at all. the mogami stuff has a lifetime warranty.

B&h Photo Video here in nyc sells really awesome cables too. i think it might be their own brand, not sure. they're called Comprehensive. not too expensive, also with a lifetime warranty which is sweeeeeet

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:05 am

thearnicasync wrote: There's some guy in Italy that sells a $1000 guitar cable.

kb
It's settled then. . .group buy on these $1000 guitar cables. I bet we can get them down to $800 each if we get 50 of us together!

slochldrnplayin
ass engineer

Post by slochldrnplayin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:15 am

joel hamilton wrote:I have been really diging the BLUE "kiwi" and "cranberry" cables. Totally good. Well made, sound good.
I've just found these as well. I use them just as much as I do my Mogami. Both are very high quality cables.

Also, Redco is a great place to get cable and ends so you can do it yourself. It's really easy, and worth the time.

KFT
pushin' record

Post by KFT » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:26 pm

I've had good luck with Mogami, Canare, Belden, quad cables with Neutrik ends on them.

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:49 pm

i got some ameriquad cables and noticed an improvement over the generic regulars.

bplr
takin' a dinner break

Post by bplr » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:30 pm

it might be too late for me now, but i just ordered a bunch of tri-cable (canare) from redco. what's the difference between tri and quad? i was trying to get the best cable i could, is quad for better grounding or something? how would you solder the extra line?

justin
Bipolar Production

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:31 pm

There's a reason for the price difference between Hosa and everything else. Hosa cables suck. I bought two bags of patchbay cables, half of them didn't even work out of the bag and the rest eventually failed. Garbage!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:48 am

justingerardy wrote:it might be too late for me now, but i just ordered a bunch of tri-cable (canare) from redco. what's the difference between tri and quad? i was trying to get the best cable i could, is quad for better grounding or something? how would you solder the extra line?

justin
there are 5 leads in quad cable..2 for hot, 2 for cold, and 1 for shield/ground..

you just twist the two groups of two together at the ends and treat each group like one lead at the connect..

your capitance goes down I belive with quad but RF rejection and shielding are better..if i remember right..

the differences can be many..because AWG (lead size) can be different, shielding, etc..so it depends what brand and model your comparing..