What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:54 pm

OK. I'll bite:

Someone gonna post the model number of this li'l beastie?
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:13 pm

vvv wrote:If you open it up and it's got "API" or "Urei" or "Neve" stamped on it, you have a good one.

Well, it could happen, y'know...
Now wouldn't that be beautiful.....!... :lol:

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:43 pm

Well I've got a blackface BSR EQ that makes everything passing through it sound magic. Especially when hooked to the Lafayette receiver that is my normal signal chain. The BSR has LEDs on every slider.

I'd sell it for 3k if anyone's seriously interested.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:50 pm

Well....I opened up the Rat Shack EQ......it aint gonna happen... :roll: ..Just #4558s and the normal "crap" that smears audio passing thru it...!.. :evil: .. It's the 10 band EQ tho'.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:18 pm

snatchman wrote:Well....I opened up the Rat Shack EQ......it aint gonna happen... :roll: ..Just #4558s and the normal "crap" that smears audio passing thru it...!.. :evil: .. It's the 10 band EQ tho'.
yah, the 10 band is pretty crap.

the blackfaced 7 band is the one that delivers the goodies!

but even it has a few problems left stock, which is why the mods are so important.
Last edited by RefD on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:18 pm

snatchman wrote:Well....I opened up the Rat Shack EQ......it aint gonna happen... :roll: ..Just #4558s and the normal "crap" that smears audio passing thru it...!.. :evil: .. It's the 10 band EQ tho'.
Well of course it's not it. You might as well have measured the cat.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:23 pm

BSR - yeah, I got a bunch of their stuff back in the day. I gave my EQ to a friend about seven years ago. Still use the subsonic synthesizer.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:21 am

So is this the new PM-1000?

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:07 am

Will someone that has one please post a picture of it. No seems to be able to provide the model # so if we can at least see what it looks like we'll have a better idea of which one it is.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 am

Catoogie wrote:Will someone that has one please post a picture of it. No seems to be able to provide the model # so if we can at least see what it looks like we'll have a better idea of which one it is.
That's why I said "OK. I'll bite." :)

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:50 pm

Mark Alan Miller wrote:
Catoogie wrote:Will someone that has one please post a picture of it. No seems to be able to provide the model # so if we can at least see what it looks like we'll have a better idea of which one it is.
That's why I said "OK. I'll bite." :)
this is the not-as-desirable "silverfaced" version (the Realistic Seven Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer model 31-1989):

this must be a transitional one, since it still reads "Realistic" instead of "Optimus".

i can't find a pic of the blackfaced (enamel finish) version on the web, but if you're really interested i can take a digicam over to my cousin's place and shoot the rack it's in.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:22 pm

Oh yeah......! I remember those! Dang, I had a couple of those way back...Didn't have any interest in recording music back then, just listening to it..! ( House Partyyyyyy...!, yawl remember.. :lol: ) As a matter of fact, I'll go and visit my cousin. He's still "stuck" in the 70's.. :o ! He'll probably have these still playing ( 8-track too..!).............. 8)

stui
pluggin' in mics

Post by stui » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:55 am

So, do the mods (whatever they are) add any value to the 10 band "Expander"model or is it a lost cause?
I bought one round about '93 to hype my stereo a bit.
"when in doubt leave it out"

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:30 am

Cool! Now we're getting some numbers and pics. Is the blackface one the same model number?

Which leads me to ask... really any good?

And, there are some of the silverface ones on eBay here and here. Let the bidding begin!

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:51 pm

standup wrote:Well I've got a blackface BSR EQ that makes everything passing through it sound magic. Especially when hooked to the Lafayette receiver that is my normal signal chain. The BSR has LEDs on every slider.

I'd sell it for 3k if anyone's seriously interested.
Is this really the street price, or are you joking?