What is this Radio Shack EQ Everybody's Talking About?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm

ubertar wrote:Foolery, schmoolery. The 7-band, black-face, Realistic EQ:
I'd put up $100 vs. anyone who says it's a fake. Any takers?
Despite the fact that it's looking pretty hopeless here, I'll repeat what I and others have already said: there's no "Holy Grail, black-face, Neve/Realistic 7-band EQ," and there never was. It's not that the one pictured is a "fake," it's that the one everybody's talking about never existed. The one pictured is a later cheapo full of op amps, nowhere near as good as the ones that actually do exist, like the 31-1987, et al. Sorry to disconfuse you with the facts. . . . :wink:

Joe

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm

ha ha ha!!!! awesome.
Good Luck At Any Cost

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:01 pm

vvv wrote:So, do I get the $100?

:twisted:
Hey, it is a black-faced, 7 band, Realistic EQ. Whether it's the magic one, who's to say?

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Well, a wise man once said "The wish is the father of the thought, " and another wise man said "If it sounds good, it is good." FWIW, I think you will find truth and happiness in reconciling the two ideas. . . .

:)

Joe

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:31 pm

What a PITA. Buyer beware I guess, but that does suck. Use the case for something. I would say save the power supply, but it sounds like it was powered from some other component.

I love this thread[/b]
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Despite the fact that it's looking pretty hopeless here, I'll repeat what I and others have already said: there's no "Holy Grail, black-face, Neve/Realistic 7-band EQ," and there never was. It's not that the one pictured is a "fake," it's that the one everybody's talking about never existed. The one pictured is a later cheapo full of op amps, nowhere near as good as the ones that actually do exist, like the 31-1987, et al. Sorry to disconfuse you with the facts. . . .

Joe
Joe,
do you have a 1987? I am curious as to the size of the inductors inside. Mine are all one size and I am wondering if the 1986-87 et all used different sizes for the different bands. Just wondering....I don't think I will buy another..Mine has been fun but prolly not worth the effort I put in. If you have an 86 or 87 I'd love a peak inside. Thanks
Good Luck At Any Cost

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Did anyone really believe it existed, for more than maybe 5 minutes? The whole fun of this thread was how everyone knew but played along. Way to go, buzzkills. Still, it's impressive it went on for six years!

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 pm

When i first started reading this thread I even went looking for the damn plugin! Fun
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:46 pm

some good did come though....the EQ I bought is a great sounding piece of gear and truly a "sleeper" at 20 bucks.
Good Luck At Any Cost

germaniac
takin' a dinner break

Post by germaniac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 pm

ubertar wrote:Did anyone really believe it existed, for more than maybe 5 minutes? The whole fun of this thread was how everyone knew but played along. Way to go, buzzkills. Still, it's impressive it went on for six years!
Nice save! 8)
pandemic wrote: Joe,
do you have a 1987? I am curious as to the size of the inductors inside. Mine are all one size and I am wondering if the 1986-87 et all used different sizes for the different bands. Just wondering....I don't think I will buy another..Mine has been fun but prolly not worth the effort I put in. If you have an 86 or 87 I'd love a peak inside. Thanks
Yes, I've got a few 31-1987s, a 31-1988, a couple of others. Never paid more than $15-20 for any. The 1987 has variously sized inductors. The smaller ones look like what you used to see in old transistor radios; the larger ones look like what you see in old Vox wah pedals. But all the inductors are mounted to the PCB that holds the slider pots against the faceplate, so they're sort of hidden inside.

I definitely think they're worth the investment soundwise, and if not for that then just for the parts--the PCB with two discrete op amps running on +44 volts can be used for lots of things--line amps, compressors, mic pres. Just a matter of tinkering. Also, the inductors, while not the top-of-the-line, are useful to me as an electronics guy. I've already cannibalized parts for my wah and so forth. As I mentioned, I'd like to do a switchable "Curvebender" EQ with those parts too. Eventually. . . .

Joe

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:17 pm

germaniac wrote:Nice save! 8)
No. I tried to save this thread, but YOU had to kill it. I even came up with an actual picture of an actual black faced 7-band realistic eq. Hell, vvv could have put all kinds of crazy transformers in there, a bunch of orange drops and bumblebee caps, maybe even a couple tubes, took some pics, and the legend could have gone on. But nooooooo.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 pm

The RSEQ is dead! Long live the RSEQ!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:23 pm

You guys are no fun anymore.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 am

ubertar wrote: Hell, vvv could have put all kinds of crazy transformers in there, a bunch of orange drops and bumblebee caps, maybe even a couple tubes, took some pics, and the legend could have gone on. But nooooooo.
Pssssst!

Hey, be quiet. I almost convinced 'em all this thing is a fake - whaddya tryna do?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:57 am

The soul of tapeop messageboard is at stake here. If people stop believing in the radio shack eq, how can we go on? This is bigger than Santa Claus and the tooth fairy combined.