my client wants to do me

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

my client wants to do me

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:18 am

it's pretty shitty - she's really good, and i really would benefit from recording her, but everytime i try to set up a meeting to talk about getting the project together, she treats it more like a date. i don't want to lose the chance to work with her (i really can't overemphasize how talented she is), but i don't wanna go to the bonezone with her! has anyone ever had this? what's the best way to handle this without losing this great opportunity?

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:27 am

ORTF pair, head height, about two feet off the foot of your bed. Be sure to leave lots of headroom unless you know what kind of levels to expect.

timbertrout
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by timbertrout » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 am

Execute recording sessions in professional and gentlemanly manner. Hand her final mixes and then you guys can decide if you'd like to date. If she is truly interested in you, then "working platonically" will only increase her interest in you "for after hours leisure" after the project, I might guess. Especially if you wow her with your recording skills and sensitivity to her material...

Or are you saying that you're not interested in her in any event?

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

goin' to the bonezone

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:30 am

she might just be messing with you....
pretty girls make graves....

deep breaths....run to the can and stick your head under the faucet...
give her the occasional wink...
flirting is supposed to fun and harmless if you do it right...

and don't go to bonetown whatever you do...she's probably got a beau..

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:31 am

Phiz wrote:ORTF pair, head height, about two feet off the foot of your bed. Be sure to leave lots of headroom unless you know what kind of levels to expect.
:rofl:

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Re: goin' to the bonezone

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:36 am

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:she might just be messing with you....
pretty girls make graves....

deep breaths....run to the can and stick your head under the faucet...
give her the occasional wink...
flirting is supposed to fun and harmless if you do it right...

and don't go to bonetown whatever you do...she's probably got a beau..
of course te key is to remain calm
indeed
"working platonically" will only increase her interest in you "for after hours leisure"
but give her a wink now and then...gotta watch those egos

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:46 am

ok, lemme be more clear: i'm not interested at all (regardless of business). she's said that she loves what she's heard of my production, and really wants to work with me. but then there's the hitting on me thing, which ain't gonna work out.
but if i was gonna go to the bonezone, i'd think some space omnis would be better for my specific um, technique.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:57 am

maybe she'll drop it once you agree to work with her. some people don't make the distinction between different kinds of attention, so she could be one of those people who uses sexuality and flirting like a crutch to help with their social skills. not consciously, i mean. but maybe it's just her way of trying to get you on board.....(the project, not her. heh heh). in spite of the talent which you say she has, maybe she's not as secure as you might think. but hey, that's just an idea and she could very well be out to get all up in your shizznit, as the urban youths say these days.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:58 am

Hmm.. good thread.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:34 pm

Are you Mitchell Froom?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:40 pm

who, me?

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:45 pm

Well my situation is obviously slightly different.
Believe me, I'd dig it to no end if I had female clients trying to seduce me, but I'd also switch that off right quick considering my work environment.
For that matter, you would probably do best to go the same direction - you might even go so far as to recommend her to another studio, or never meet or work with her without a third party present.
There's enough psychos out there, and enough examples of this crap on movies and TV that it's not a particularly far stretch to think she's up to something more than just star-struck awe at meeting a real live recording engineer. At the best she could be thinking that a little time on her back is a much cheaper way of getting her CD recorded than whipping out the checkbook. At the worst, she could go in, record with you, get her materials, and then spout all kinds of shit about how you were coming on to her and try to pull somme kind of sexual harassment crap to get out of paying.

Maybe I'm just too cynical, but if I can imagine it, than someone else can too - maybe even her. I think you have to suddenly get way too busy and refer her to a female engineer at some other studio.

-Jeremy

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:51 pm

well the thing is that, since i'm just starting out and really think working with her can advance my career as much as it will help hers, i have already made it clear that i'm going to be very generous with my rates, as in, the only money i'm charging is going straight to the studio.so i really don't think she's pulling a scam or anything like that. i just think she wants to have her cake and eat it too.
and for the record, nobody is going to be star-struck by my resume: i'm still green as the grass.

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:52 pm

star-struck awe at meeting a real live recording engineer.
that's pretty funny...

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:01 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:
star-struck awe at meeting a real live recording engineer.
that's pretty funny...
It happens. I mean, I see it more with the girls that arrive at college and hear a real live band playing that sounds just like those guys they always see on TV, but there they are in front of 'em, and talking to them. They get star sturck by the scrawny little freshman kid strumming crappy covers of John Mayer.

But as for this particular situation, are you running a commercial studio, would you be renting a studio, or would this be happening in your house?
Is there someone else who can be there to on the sessions? Preferably female, like an audio friend, a girlfriend, sister, your mom, anyone?

-Jeremy