Apogee Ensemble

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Apogee Ensemble

Post by musikman316 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:28 am

Same standard features as most Firewire units. Four Mic Pres, 8 channels AD/DA, 8 channels of ADAT I/O, SPDIF, Wordclock etc. But the cool thing, at least for me, is the ability to contol the unit's mic pre gain and routing from Logic. So far Logic is the only DAW supported for this feature, and it says it was designed for Macintosh and I don't see any mention of Windows on their site yet. So we'll see, but for people like me who use Logic... and would like to have the functional all in one type of box like a MOTU but with Apogee converters this seems like it could be a pretty good deal.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

Josh

edit: also forgot to mention, balanced inserts on Mic Pres 1 & 2 and Mic Pres 3 & 4 have hi-z inputs.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Re: Apogee Ensemble

Post by hammertime » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:54 am

Apogee stuff is overpriced, and about a year and a half from being obsolete.
musikman316 wrote:Same standard features as most Firewire units. Four Mic Pres, 8 channels AD/DA, 8 channels of ADAT I/O, SPDIF, Wordclock etc. But the cool thing, at least for me, is the ability to contol the unit's mic pre gain and routing from Logic. So far Logic is the only DAW supported for this feature, and it says it was designed for Macintosh and I don't see any mention of Windows on their site yet. So we'll see, but for people like me who use Logic... and would like to have the functional all in one type of box like a MOTU but with Apogee converters this seems like it could be a pretty good deal.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

Josh

edit: also forgot to mention, balanced inserts on Mic Pres 1 & 2 and Mic Pres 3 & 4 have hi-z inputs.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: Apogee Ensemble

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:39 am

hammertime wrote:Apogee stuff is overpriced, and about a year and a half from being obsolete.
tell that to my MiniMe, it rocks. Two channels of sweet pres, with compression, converters and a rock solid clock.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:02 pm

Price is subjective... if you don't think it's worth it then it isn't, I've never had a problem with what they charge... and as far as being obsolete, tell me a digital piece of equipment (in recording or ANY industry) that isn't a year and a half from being obsolete? ... uh ... nothing you can think of ... okay thanks.

Also, if you check out Apogee's site, they have the new Symphony cards. 96 channels of I/O. I don't know too many companies that are moving that many tracks in and out of a computer (and again, Mac only)...

Josh

bowling-name
audio school graduate

exciting

Post by bowling-name » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:24 pm

75db of gain too! I was set on upgrading my old 828 to the RME fireface, but now...