Heil Sound LD dynamics?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

evan
buyin' gear

Heil Sound LD dynamics?

Post by evan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:28 am

So I was being all mic-envious and looking around, and noticed that Heil Sound has some (new?) large diaphragm dynamics -- the PR-30 and PR-40. Has anyone had any experience with these mics? I wonder if they'd be usable in similar ways as other broadcast fixtures like the SM7B and RE20.

jimbob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jimbob » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:24 pm

I love the pr40 on kick drums, toms, and guitar and bass cabs. i'm sure it would be great on snare, too, but i haven't tried that yet. It picks up plenty of tight low frequencies while having a slight presence boost from about 1-4KHz, which can be great for some things. It's never harsh sounding but sometimes it does sound thin on certain male vocals. It does have great off-axis response, and it's durable (mine fell from a shitty mic stand 6 feet onto concrete and still sounds great). To me, it sounds a lot like an EV RE-20 but smoother. The closest dynamics I have that compare to the PR-40 are the Beyer Soundstar MkIII (which has less extended HF and LF response), and an E/V ND457 (which has less LF extension). I don't own an RE-20 or an SM7, but my next LD dynamic to complement the PR40 will be the SM7.

-jb