Studer Counter Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

studeringproblem
audio school

Studer Counter Question

Post by studeringproblem » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:12 am

Hello everyone,

I am currently considering purchasing an A827 from friends, but I'm running into a question to which I receive conflicting answers.

The counter indicating the number of hours on the heads shows a series of black digits - 0,0,2,2,0,1 - and then a white 5 on the far right. My question is, does this mean that the heads have seen 2201.5 hours (pretty decent) or 22015 hours (kinda creepy). I've heard different things from different people as to whether that last digit is a decimal place or not, and I just wanted to know once and for all.

Thanks for your help,
Steve

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:22 am

The white one seems to be a decimal. I just looked on mine, and I know it has about 2000 hours on it for a fact, so that would mean that the white one is not a whole number.

I bought mine with 600 hours on it, with all the documentation.

studeringproblem
audio school

Post by studeringproblem » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:47 am

Thanks so much. That really helps.

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:10 am

If it were 22,015 hours that would mean over seven and a half years, seven days a week at 8 hours of "running time" per day (recording or playback, not sitting idle)! And eight hours of "running time" is a lot. I think a more realistic potential number would be 1/2 hour of "running time" per hour of actual studio time, and even that's a lot. (These are head hours, not motor hours, I'm pretty sure...)
So if it saw sessions seven days a week for twelve hours a day(six hours a day "running time") (still a busy workload) it works out to over ten years of constant use. Possible, but not probable. And the heads (if original) would not look too hot.

Yeah, that is a decimal place. :)
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.