American neck on Mex body

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

American neck on Mex body

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:24 pm

Anybody try bolting an American Strat neck on a mexi-strat body?

Can it be done?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:56 pm

i don't see why not. . .

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm

I've tried something similar, and just because it's a Fender guitar, don't assume it's going to fit. It might be close, but you'll wind up spending months fucking with it, unless you really know what you're doing.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:07 am

American and custom shop necks have a tendency to be more substantial (thicker/wider at the nut). I was just wondering if anyone's had a problem at the neck joint where it bolts onto the body. The last thing I want to get into is routing a neck joint. I don't have any problems with guitar mods but I'm not a luthier so...
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:14 am

I put an MIJ neck on a Korean strat body (Squier Pro Tone), and it almost fit. I had to sand the pocket a little. You are liable to have to sand or shim.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:28 am

you'll have to "fiddle with it" a little no matter WHAT it is. Even if you're putting an american neck on an american body from a different year. If you're swapping necks, I would imagine that you know a little about the instrument and can perform your own setup? You won't need to route or redrill, but you'll definately need to mess with it a LITTLE. Intonation, Truss rod, maybe even a nut adjustment. I still don't see why it would be a big problem though. Give it a shot!

-James

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:57 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I know this instrument pretty well (inside and out) so mods haven't been an issue. I just didn't want to pop $350 on a Fender american replacement and end up having to hack up my neck joint. I actually like this mexican strat and have had it long enough to get it setup how I like it. I just really need that "V" shape on the neck instead of the thin "C" shape. And a bit more string spacing with a wider nut.

Warmoth's product line has changed since the last time I checked them out and it looks like they actually have exactly what I'm looking for. The site is also a lot more helpful than the last time I checked them out. It's lookin' like Warmoth is my answer.

Thanks again guys.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:53 pm

Yep. Warmoth rocks, I've got a solid rosewood Warmoth "V" neck on my strat and I love it. *Some* people don't like the feel of their necks, but I do, as does everyone else who's tried my 'tar, but that's the way it is with all gear, there will always be some folks who don't like it. If you want my advice, get a "Vintage Modern" neck that doesn't have their double-expanding truss rod, it should sound better and I don't think you're really giving up much.
Good luck!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:42 pm

Thanks A-Barr, I appreciate your experience. The vintage modern is exactly what I'm looking at. I definitely don't need dual truss rods. I'm jazzed about the "v" shape because it's one thing about my Martin that I love so much but the fact that they offer stainless steel frets is another huge bonus. Stainless steel reduces friction on the heavy bends and everybody that plays the Parker Fly's raves about the frets. Call me a sissy but I need all the help I can get bending 11's sometimes.

A-Barr, I'm interested in the rosewood neck and the kind of tone you're getting from that. How would you compared it to maple and mahogany? And did you go with an ebony fretboard then?

Cojonesonasteek
gettin' sounds

Post by Cojonesonasteek » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:18 pm

I have a '62 slab maple Strat neck (not rosewood) on a Mexi-Tele body, works great, so there should be no problem putting any Fender neck on a Mexican-made Fender body. You may have to have the neck properly shimmed to get the best action.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks for the thanks! I think I got mine with 6105 frets and bending is a breeze... But some people like wider frets, me, I like 'em tall and skinny (like me!)

As to the tone of the rosewood neck...

Well it's kind of hard to say since it's on a mahogany body. But I did put it on a regular strat body once and as I recall, the strat signature sparkling snap and pop really got put on the back burner. It's got a really meaty, warm sound, but it isn't at all bright or spanky, etc., I'd say it gives a hint of SG flavor, but I've never owned an SG so take that with a grain of salt. It's got smoother attack, more sustain (I think) and sounds really well, uh spongy? I guess that's how it describe it, you know, when SRV digs in on a big bend and it's got that bit of a rubber band sound? Any idea what I mean? It also sounds deep, rich and clear on a clean tone.

I guess I'm having a hard time with my words here, so let me just say this: My guitar does not sound like a strat. It's got its own unique sound that I love, a little darker, a little more towards the Gibson side (mahogany body effect, maybe) but much thicker and juicier and I'd say bigger sounding, less of the start thinness. But twangy she ain't.

It's got a Rosewood fretboard by the way.

Beware the temptation to build a "super-strat" with "upgrades" on the woods, pickups, trem, etc., because you will quickly lose the strat tone. In my case I got a guitar that I love just as much as I did strats, but it's my own unique sound. I'm pleased as punch now but for a while I was disappointed because I was chasing the strat sound and in trying to improve it lost it.

BTW - 6 years ago when I got the neck, I had all kinds of people tell me that within 2 years it would look like a twizzler due to it being made of unfinished Rosewood. But No! They were wrong! It's still as straight as it ever was and I LOVE the unfinished Rosewood feel. Saved money on finishing too!

I hope you can make sense of this disorganized little rant, and as I said before... good luck!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks Cajones. That's good info.

A-Barr I am looking to alter my tone a bit and compensate for my new Bill Lawrence pups but actually because I don't want SUCH signature Strat tone. I want just enough Quack to make me happy from time to time. Kinda what David Gilmour ended up with after his mods and boxes IMO.

Thick, creamy, bluesy swank, with just a little spank.
Really nice sparkle but not too over the top,
you could hear a ghost of a snap and a rounded Strat Pop.