Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:46 pm

droppin' names and deleting messages.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Just completed show # 3. 11 more to go.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=30687

I may be trying to record the show for archiving purposes. If I get this set up, I'll write up a "Anatomy of a Recording Session" thread.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:11 pm

soundguy wrote:droppin' names and deleting messages.
So I see.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Today I learned the evil science of editing drums in PTLE. :oops: Just my crappy home demos. Tab to transient, seperate region, slide it over to the grid, repeat 1000x.
my band: Mission 5

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

From a dream...

Post by knobtwirler » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:16 pm

I woke up froma dream in which I made up a killer metal riff on guitar, so I tuned up my Les Paul, hooked up my dynamic and condenser to my digi-001, opened up PT and figured out a tempo, put a kick snare and hat pattern on one bar and duplicated to 48 bars, worked out the part to the drums while makiing up 2 more parts to follow, and recorded them in 16 bar chunks. Sent the idea as an AAC file from iTunes via email to the other band members to write their parts, and spent the rest of the day doing Sunday stuff.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:42 pm

ER, today was band rehearsal for the Chicago Auto Show gig, plus some work on movie stuff, plus I went to see "Narnia." Yesterday was vocals for my brother's album.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:51 pm

rolandk wrote:Today I learned the evil science of editing drums in PTLE. :oops: Just my crappy home demos. Tab to transient, seperate region, slide it over to the grid, repeat 1000x.
haha nithe. that's what i spent my saturday and saturday night doing! (my girlfriend wasn't stoked) luckily i had pot to help out the experience. Today recorded vocals for a spazz/discordance axis/devoid of faith kinda sounding band. Crazy ass guitar noodling psyco-hypno-blastbeat-ADD ridilin madness core. There is no bass guitar so i gotta figure out if i can get this "maxx bass" plug in thingy deal to add some interesting umph to the subs and see how ridiculously huge i can get the kick without losing its definition on the double kick parts.
Last edited by trodden on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:38 pm

trodden wrote:
rolandk wrote:Today I learned the evil science of editing drums in PTLE. :oops: Just my crappy home demos. Tab to transient, seperate region, slide it over to the grid, repeat 1000x.
haha nithe. that's what i spent my saturday and saturday night doing! (my girlfriend wasn't stoked) luckily i had pot to help out the experience. Today recorded vocals for a spazz/discordance axis/devoid of faith kinda sounding band. Crazy ass guitar noodling psyco-hyno-blastbeat-ADD ridalin madness core. There is no bass guitar so i gotta figure out if i can get this "maxx bass" plug in thingy deal to add some interesting umph to the subs and see how ridiculously huge i can get the kick without losing its definition on the double kick parts.
your girlfriend was too stoked.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Professor

Post by Professor » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:09 am

Recovered from a long week.
Mostly sat around the apartment vegetating, but naturally that couldn't last.
Came in to school at 6pm to meet up with folks and setup live sound gear for a jazz band festival concert tomorrow, then sat in the studio grading Wednesday's quiz for about 50 students while chatting with two employees about frequencies, surround mixing and politics. Now I'm placing a few more recordings on reserve in the library for the review writing assignments.

So much for lazing on a Sunday afternoon.

-Jeremy

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:21 am

Had a day off after a long week in the studio. Back at it again today. Good music and good people = good day.

shawn

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:29 am

Many hours of sniffing solder fumes. Wiring up the Langevin AM17's I got from one of our TOMB members. Now they live in a nice, big, pretty (and heavy) box. They, along with some TechFilm modules (they're sorta like the Polish version of Telefunken 600 series units) I racked for a buddy move to the studio tonight...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:32 am

I tuned up my home-made plate reverb. It has a neat funky sound. It's nowhere near as good as my powercore software emulations, but it's definitely worth having and using. Plus it cost about 60 dollars in materials. I will start a separate thread in the DIY Gear thread once I get a couple things worked out and some sound files to post.

A project I have been tracking for over a year is almost over and I started cleaning up the files getting them ready to send out for mixing. I'm kinda excited- my friend/client is going to get it mixed at Gravity Studio here in Chicago. They have some great gear and so far as I can tell, damn good ears. I can't wait to hear the end project.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:38 am

Built 4 pairs of microphones, put my BA71's in the rack, did my quarterly taxes, sorted all of 2005 tax crap into piles, took some new product photos, and played Lego Star Wars(Xbox) with my kids. Tried to slepp, but instead stressed about how much shit I had to get done on the 30th . :roll:

ju

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 am

I am working on the umpteenth round of music edits for a commercial that is supposed to air on the SuperBowl, unfortunately I do not think we are going to make it due to "death by committee". It would have been to nice have my work heard by captive millions.