Sumday?

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Sumday?

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Tue May 13, 2003 7:25 pm

anyone else out there listening to a pre-copy of the new Grandaddy album?
talk about great sounding, creative recording & good use of crappy/great synths
and drum machines. plus incredibly interesting songwritting and use of language.
the best yet! i'm stoked. gotta go record now.

eric

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Re: Sumday?

Post by DeafinONEear » Wed May 14, 2003 11:48 am

I have to say, Grandaddy have just totally lost it. I haven't heard the new album, but then again I haven't really liked anything after Under the Western Freeway... I wish Mr. Little (sp?) would learn to make lyrics that don't have to do with spacemen, birdies, lonely farmers and computoreoradores.
Saw them in SLO a couple weeks ago and damn did it suck ass. Like they've just totally lost it.
Saw them at Slims in SF about 4 years ago and you could tell they were enjoying themselves, but now it just seems like they're going through the motions.

If only I could have attended the fabled Barn Parties back in 96 and beyond. Damn that would have been sweet.

And sorry-- I'm not trying to be a negative creep, but I just had to say how I feel as I think it's pretty sad.
Last edited by DeafinONEear on Wed May 14, 2003 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed May 14, 2003 2:59 pm

DeafinONEear wrote:I wish Mr. Little (sp?) would learn to make lyrics that don't have to do with spacemen, birdies, lonely farmers and computoreoradores.
I have the Sophtware Slump, and I dig the music on it, but I don't get into the si-fi lyrics. They're just a little too hard to relate to (even if they are suppose to be, like analogies and stuff).

For concept albums that are easier to relate to, try John Vanderslice.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed May 14, 2003 7:43 pm

I think they are really a really cool band. Sure they arent "flaming lips" but I think their songs are pretty solid and those dreamy Jed ballads from the Software Slump really do it for me. And it was their page was first led me to tapeop...

they cant be that bad

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Thu May 15, 2003 8:52 am

all i can say is just listen to their new album.
if you ever liked them at all, you should give it a chance.
this is their best work and i have all the older stuff.
that's just my opinion though.

now it's on.

eric