Desk layout

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Desk layout

Post by mpedrummer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:12 pm

Looking for brilliant ideas here...

I have a (POS) desk from Office Max, or one of those type box stores. Several years ago, in a whirlwind fit of genius, I added a shelf about 10 inches above the surface of the desk. This surface holds 2 17" LCD monitors and two Event PS8s.

This weekend, I got a set of NS10s, and now I have absolutely no idea how the heck I'm ever going to fit them on my desk. The only way I can come up with would be to raise the shelf up so I can put the LCDs under it, and then have the speakers above angled down...I don't know that I like the idea of having the speakers above my head. I guess it would reduce direct reflections, somewhat, because the speakers wouldn't be parallel with the walls.

The other (more complex) thought I had was to cut out the area under the LCDs, put those directly on the desk, and then build a narrower shelf over just the LCDs for the NS10s, leaving the "mains" where they are now.

Any thoughts? Brilliant solutions? Magic pixie dust?

MPEDrummer

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Don't put the speakers above you. Yucky. Bad. Boo.

I like your idea of modifying the shelf, really.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

mpedrummer
steve albini likes it

Post by mpedrummer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:18 pm

I looked/measured a bit, and that's looking like the way to go. It'll put the NS10s more or less right at ear level, keep the Events there, and move the LCDs to a more comfortable position. Only thing I don't like is losing the space under the shelf, which has been surprisingly useful.

I'll get over it, though.

MPEDrummer