Altiverb 5 or PLATE REVERB ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MusicMan
gettin' sounds

Altiverb 5 or PLATE REVERB ???

Post by MusicMan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:47 pm

I have almost no reverb for my home studio. I do have some plug in's and I have been re-amping using my Super Reverb but I really want to get something better.

So I have been looking into getting a real plate reverb from PLATE-SONICS or the ALTIVERB.

Has anyone on used either of these reverbs? ?

I track mostly to my MS-16 but I also have a Protools set up. I mix everything in the box after I dump the 16 tracks in.

I also was wondering if the Altiverb has some kind of build up if you use it on a lot of tracks?

I know the Altiverb has a ton of reverbs in it and it is not just one reverb but right now I think I am leaning towards the plate.

What are some opinions and info that you might have about either reverb?

Thanks. Mark.

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 pm

I can't comment on either of those two, but I enjoy some of the free IR/convolution reverbs. On my last album, all I used was a plate setting from the freebie "Ambience."

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:14 am

email Platesonics and see if they get back to you.
That might help you in your decision

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:33 am

plate reverb is mechanical and soulful..but really expensive..when we think of good plate we think of tube EMT or = quality units..

Altiverb sounds fantastic and much more versitile..reverb is kind of a background thing..and I think personally I would go with Altiverb..because it sounds really good it can hang right there with a real plate but give you a lot more..some of are most coveted reverbs are digital after all so don't let that deter you..

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:21 pm

I don't believe Plate-Sonic's reverb units come with amplifiers. After buying the plate, shipping it, instalation costs and purchasing a sweet tube amp to go with it the cost is going to be significantly more than the software.

That all said, I always like the sound of the real thing. It really all depends on the "legacy" aspect of it. The plate will still be functioning in 20 years. The software will probably be ancient history in two.

-marc

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:01 pm

if you can sneak into a studio with a plate, you can make yer own altiverb IR. otherwise, I think UAD has done that with the vintage plates at the plant in sausolito.
going one way down a wrong way street

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:45 pm

i don't know anything about the plate you're talking about, but altiverb totally blows me away. as long as the impulse responses are good there shouldn't be any wierd build-up.
there are tons of good IRs available that will give you a lot more variety than the plate, plus you can make your own.
the only downside is that it eats a lot a ram, we end up freezing the altiverb tracks a lot to avoid hiccups in playback.
i really wish there was an outboard version of this...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:27 am

I would totally venture to say that altiverb would make so much more sense in every way to get..it even sounds just as good if not better in most everyday reverb situations..it comes down to philosophy on this one maybe..

You want to be the "crazy eccentric purist who can tell the difference" and drop mad money on one(UNO) plate sound go ahead..thats your thing..

You really want to prove to yourself what to get..take a blind a/b test with the two..I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell them apart that way..

Big Jilm
audio school

Post by Big Jilm » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:55 am

The flexibility of alitverb at the price cant be beaten.

Not to metnion it is one of the best sounding verb plugins I have heard to date.

I would imagine a plate would really kick ass. But realistically I think Altiverb will give you more use and more "bang for the buck"

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:10 am

kakumei47 wrote: the only downside is that it eats a lot a ram, we end up freezing the altiverb tracks a lot to avoid hiccups in playback.
What kind of a machine are you running and how much ram? I want to run altiverb too, but I don't want too much of a headache with freezing tracks.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:35 pm

bannerj wrote:
kakumei47 wrote: the only downside is that it eats a lot a ram, we end up freezing the altiverb tracks a lot to avoid hiccups in playback.
What kind of a machine are you running and how much ram? I want to run altiverb too, but I don't want too much of a headache with freezing tracks.
we have a three month-old dual g5 w/ 2 gig of ram using performer. somtimes it's ok, but if we run a lot of plugs, tracks or both the playback isn't perfect. when we get the cash we'll probably get another 2 gigs. altiverb is more processor intensive than most plugs, and the really good quality IRs are a bit more so.

pandatone
pushin' record

Post by pandatone » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:11 pm

1 vote for altiverb.

hmm. i have a dual G5 2gig with 2.5gig of ram. using digital peformer 4.61 [os 10.4.4]
i can get 5 or 6 altiverbs going. though if i want alot of plugs [but no softsynths], then im down to maybe 2 or 3..
no play back problems.
oh, i just run at 24/44.1

panda
kakumei47 wrote:
bannerj wrote:
we have a three month-old dual g5 w/ 2 gig of ram using performer. somtimes it's ok, but if we run a lot of plugs, tracks or both the playback isn't perfect. when we get the cash we'll probably get another 2 gigs. altiverb is more processor intensive than most plugs, and the really good quality IRs are a bit more so.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:53 am

ack! only 2-3 altiverbs with a dual G5 and 2.5 g of ram!? Damn. I was told that Altiverb 5 was supposed to be more efficient that v 4? I am in DP as well and like that I have the ability to freeze tracks, but I actually hate doing it. Have any of you guys used the v-rack for DP 4.6? I wonder if that would help you get more out of the altiverb?

Big Jilm
audio school

Post by Big Jilm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:24 am

Using pro-tools and the rtas version of the plugin, I can get atleast 5 instances of Altiverb on my dual 2 gig g5. (with plenty of room for other less intensive plugins). Then again I rarely ever need 5 Altiverbs running on a mix. So this is plenty sufficent for me. On my dual 1 gig g4 I was lucky to get one open. (with slow screen redrwas)

The plugin is def a proccessor hog tho. Most reverb plugs are, especially IR verbs. Version 5 is also definately less of a hog than version 4.. By how much is debatable.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Which one

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:44 am

My 2/100ths of a Washington:

Get the Altiverb and a VST -> RTAS adapter plug-in.

You'll be giddy with the number of styles and flavors of 'verb you'll have after you start to collect IRs and some VST plugs that are available (many for free) on the web.

Plates are sweet, oh so sweet, one-trick-ponies.

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****