EH 12ay7 + LDC = Low gain

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:33 am

Don,

The GE's are inexpensive and beautiful sounding tubes. GE NOS and Sylvania's are very nice, and RCA's. My favorites so far with the 12AY7 have actually been the stock EH tubes. For some reason I keep coming back to them. They have a wooly texture and a brightness that my OM16GT just loves. JAN Philips have a lot of mojo too.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Murphdasurf
ass engineer

Post by Murphdasurf » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:24 pm

well
Ive found a 12vac 2A supply but the connector is
all wrong. Anyone know if the connector on the stock
p.s. is a common one? Is there an adaptor?
next to me, Hodor is a genius

analoghacker
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analoghacker » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:46 pm

the connector is called a "2 pin DIN". there is a simple and seriously important reason for making it a different connector from the standard "barrel" type power jack. i really don't give a shit what anyone else thinks when safety is a consideration, so if there's anyone out there who hates it, you're welcome... but it won't change a thing. the wall wart for the EH tube pedals is an AC supply, not a DC supply. were someone to make the mistake of plugging one in for the other, either nothing happens or it totally cooks your pedal permanent. we use a wide range of power adapters for our pedals, everything from 9V to 40V DC and 12V AC. there are real and important reasons for this that have to do with function. if we were to use the same connector for all of them, we would have a great deal more whining from certain corners than we already do... like i said, its simple and serious. you don't like it? buy boss.

when racking a gadget, you are free to do what ever the hell you like... the warranty's gone so who's gonna complain? and because it is now 'racked', and unlikely to be schlepped around and plugged in repeatedly into the various rehearsal holes and divey clubs rock musicians general tend to be found in, the chances of it being destroyed by hooking it up are far less.

i have often wondered if it was possible to get a STD from plugging into the "wrong" gear... you know what i mean. christ, rock music is so twisted and debauched. and you just never know who else has plugged into the backline of most places. really dirty little hosers for sure. i mean i seen some amps that made me think twice... gotta get some rubber gloves.
jc

Murphdasurf
ass engineer

Post by Murphdasurf » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:16 pm

Is it safe to remove the regular connect
and attach a two pin din. Doesn't seem
like a common connect for a power supply.
Not that I mind. Seems like a good way
to protect the gear. I probably would have tried
one of the four Fire Box supplies that I have
no use for. they're 16 vac. that probaly would
have been a bad Idea huh?
thanks
Murphy

analoghacker
alignin' 24-trk

Post by analoghacker » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:08 pm

murph,
you can use whatever you want to... just make it SAFE! you can remove the DIN connector and use any connector you want. i just wanted to explain why the DIN was there in the first place. yes, 16 VAC is a bit high... it would probably work for awhile, maybe quite awhile. but eventually the heater regulator would heat up too much and the thermal safety would kick in... turning off the pre. it would then cycle on and off (thats how you would know it was the heater regulator). i just can't imagine the shure doesn't have something to do with the problem. there is 4-5mA available. could the mic have a problem? you said the AKG worked OK...
jc

Murphdasurf
ass engineer

Post by Murphdasurf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:52 am

JC

At this point I'm positive its the mic.
I'm just looking for a fix so I can use
the mic (its the best one I have) w/o
pulling out my 4 channel phantom.
Or limiting myself to the 5751 as the driver.
I'm leaning towards a mobile rig and one
less plug and XLR is good.
I got the mic through a friend who works
for a music supply (mostly budget). They carried
57's and 58's ect.. When the '32 first came out
he got me a deal on a "dealer rep" model. Its
probably one of the first ones produced.
Maybe its over spec in the current draw?
Anyway I really appreciate your help

Murphy

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:26 am

analoghacker wrote:i just can't imagine the shure doesn't have something to do with the problem. there is 4-5mA available. could the mic have a problem? you said the AKG worked OK...
For what it's worth, I had the same experience as Murph, but with a Crown CM700, which is listed as drawing about 3 mA. More detail in this thread.

If i were to measure the current draw to verify this, I would need to measure current at both pins 2 and 3, right, and add them?

Leigh