Tape Heads

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musicforscenery
audio school graduate

Tape Heads

Post by musicforscenery » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:01 pm

after not much luck searching the TOMB archives, can anyone direct me to some online resources for tape heads? i'm interested in buying an ampex ATR700 that needs a new record head and, and being totally new to the tape recording realm, i'm a little lost as to where to find these parts. if anywhere.

so sorry if this is an ignorant question, but i'd really appreciate some assistance.

thanks,
jason

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:10 pm

I have no idea how much heads would cost but you might be able to buy the machine in good shape for really cheap, Blevins just had one on their site for $200-$300.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:35 pm

the heads will cost more than the machine!

you can still get new ampex heads..

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/

John French does relapping and sells replacement heads..

or fluxmagnetics

http://www.fluxmagnetics.com/

a new set of heads and installation will cost a ton(you just can't slap em on yourself being brand new to tape)..and flux doesnt list heads for the 700 at all so it might be something you can't get at all..i dunno..I would proceed with caution..

musicforscenery
audio school graduate

Post by musicforscenery » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:40 am

beard_of_bees wrote: a new set of heads and installation will cost a ton(you just can't slap em on yourself being brand new to tape)..and flux doesnt list heads for the 700 at all so it might be something you can't get at all..i dunno..I would proceed with caution..
ouch. i'll hold off on this machine. thanks for the info!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:19 am

musicforscenery wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote: a new set of heads and installation will cost a ton(you just can't slap em on yourself being brand new to tape)..and flux doesnt list heads for the 700 at all so it might be something you can't get at all..i dunno..I would proceed with caution..
ouch. i'll hold off on this machine. thanks for the info!
I'm not 100% sure with the art-700..I would definitely just find out for yourself at least to see if its worth it..

but my guess would be finding a machine with good heads will be better for 'ya..

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:39 am

Its a buyer's market as far as tape decks are concerned. Find a machine that doesn't need heads, but still get a re-lap done when you get it. 1/4" re-lap is pretty affordable. JRF is considered the best place to have it done. They did my MCI 2" when I bought it and I got a full report back with it too.

musicforscenery
audio school graduate

Post by musicforscenery » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:15 pm

beard_of_bees wrote: a new set of heads and installation will cost a ton(you just can't slap em on yourself being brand new to tape)....
--------------
I'm not 100% sure with the art-700..I would definitely just find out for yourself at least to see if its worth it..

but my guess would be finding a machine with good heads will be better for 'ya..
looks like i may be able to get a working record head off of a non-working 700 for a decent price. is it really unreasonable to think i could install them myself? like i said, i'm not experienced working on tape machines, but i'm very willing and interested in learning.

can you recommend any good books/websites about related machine maintenance/etc.?
drumsound wrote: Its a buyer's market as far as tape decks are concerned. Find a machine that doesn't need heads, but still get a re-lap done when you get it. 1/4" re-lap is pretty affordable. JRF is considered the best place to have it done. They did my MCI 2" when I bought it and I got a full report back with it too.
thanks for the info. i'll keep that in mind.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:26 pm

musicforscenery wrote:
beard_of_bees wrote: a new set of heads and installation will cost a ton(you just can't slap em on yourself being brand new to tape)....
--------------

looks like i may be able to get a working record head off of a non-working 700 for a decent price. is it really unreasonable to think i could install them myself? like i said, i'm not experienced working on tape machines, but i'm very willing and interested in learning.

can you recommend any good books/websites about related machine maintenance/etc.?
drumsound wrote: Its a buyer's market as far as tape decks are concerned. Find a machine that doesn't need heads, but still get a re-lap done when you get it. 1/4" re-lap is pretty affordable. JRF is considered the best place to have it done. They did my MCI 2" when I bought it and I got a full report back with it too.
thanks for the info. i'll keep that in mind.
Not to discourage you but if it's your first time working with tape there is a lot to learn besides screwing the heads into the appropraite area. You're going to have to do quite a bit of alignment and calibration and also need the appropraite tools, i.e. MRL tape, oscilator, just to think of a few, i'm sure anyone else with more experience will chime in. Not only that but if this machine needs new heads don't be surprised if it needs other components really soon. The heads aren't the only things that get worn obviously. All in all I'd say your better off getting a machine that has been checked out by a tech or atleast from a repulatable place.

Deals can be tempting but there is usually a reason why they're a deal.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:44 pm

usually people use techs to put on the heads and mechanically align them..even if they align their own electronics every day..like I said I don't know about the atr-700..I know it was never intended as a pro machine for a studio..it was for lighter use.. its maximum speed is 71/2 ips(there was a 15ips option though)..it will only take the small 7" reels of tape(without hub adapters, ~75$)..its not what you generally think of as an Ampex..it was made in japan to ampex design and is much different from the 50's tube decks, late 60's 440's, and the later venerable atr-102 decks..which are/were used in most studios and broadcast facilities..

you definitely might need some tools like special hex.nut driver thingies, an MRL tape, scope, for record head most likely a tone generator, True RMS or VTVM/Multimeter, etc, and above all else the MANUAL..

I don't doubt your ability to do it eventually..I do doubt your ability to do it quickly and correctly in a short period of time with no technical background..

here is a link to the Ampex mailing list:

http://recordist.com/ampex/

it has some people that designed these decks on there and they can help answer the real technical questions for you if you decide to go ahead with this..

musicforscenery
audio school graduate

Post by musicforscenery » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:16 am

thanks, leopold and beard of bees. based on your recommendations, i'll keep looking. and wait to work on these until i'm more familiar with how they work.
its not what you generally think of as an Ampex..it was made in japan to ampex design and is much different from the 50's tube decks, late 60's 440's, and the later venerable atr-102 decks..which are/were used in most studios and broadcast facilities..
the AM radio station i operate used an ATR700 for about 15 years! but yeah, that's only because they had/have 0 dollars. now it sits in the production room, unused and my boss won't sell it. ah well. not the one i was looking at buying, btw.

thanks again, fellas who helped.
jason

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:21 am

musicforscenery wrote:
the AM radio station i operate used an ATR700 for about 15 years!
jason
well it is quite different in sound and build and design and not as common in that application..its still a pretty nice sounding RTR from what people who have them say..