fabric source for wrappin' panels..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

fabric source for wrappin' panels..

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:53 am

need a source for cheap fabric for wrapping insulation..
Last edited by I'm Painting Again on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:10 am

Any specific type you are looking for? I will check with my girlfriend when she gets home this afternoon. She knows a few sites (atleast I think) that have some good prices.
I used some cheap burlap I got from a local fabric shop when I wrapped some insulation last year. Something real cheap, like $.50 a yard or something stupid. Spent a few dollars and covered a ton. Wasn't necessarily pretty, but worked. Dont this for sound treatment? Some light synthetics would proabably be nice if you are doing it for a permanent install. Don't think it would affect the sound much either.
I don't know much about any of this so I could be completely wrong about it all!

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:32 am

whatever works man..I'm not pickey..and it doesnt have to be fire retardant either..

I found dyed burlap for 2.99/yard thats the cheapest thing I know will work right..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:33 am

a light synthetic will be even better i think..

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:39 am

Cool. I will let you know later on this afternoon if she has any ideas or good sites.
Check eBay too. There are a ton of fabric sellers there and she gets a ton of stuff from there as well.

-Darrill

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:34 pm

I got dyed burlap at Wally World for $1.68/yd and it actually looks pretty good. They only had 3 colors there - natural, sage, and this kind of beige one [I don't remember what it's called. This stuff was 36" wide so it took about 3 yards per panel and not a lot of waste.

It even got my wifes approval - it had to or it wouldn't have gone up!

I didn't build a frame around the outer edges. Instead, I got 1" X 2" X 8' lengths of pine and cut them so that I could staple together a smaller frame to glue onto the back side of each panel. The frame is about 4" in from each edge and serves as a hanger and gives a little space between panel and wall.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:14 pm

Just found out, she mainly gets stuff from eBay. She said try fabrics.com Said they have good prices on a lot of things. And there is a store near here called Hancock fabrics that has great prices and selection... check to see if there is one by you.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that.

-Darrill

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:29 pm

bap wrote:I didn't build a frame around the outer edges. Instead, I got 1" X 2" X 8' lengths of pine and cut them so that I could staple together a smaller frame to glue onto the back side of each panel. The frame is about 4" in from each edge and serves as a hanger and gives a little space between panel and wall.
very clever, good thinkin

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:53 pm

thanks guys..Thunderboy is hooking me up with some extra stuff he has..he is rules..

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:52 pm

Just go to a local fabric store. The larger chains will have a selection of colored burlap. That would probably be the cheapest. There will be many other types to choose from as well. Check the clearance area for bargains.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:09 pm

nlmd311 wrote:Just found out, she mainly gets stuff from eBay. She said try fabrics.com Said they have good prices on a lot of things. And there is a store near here called Hancock fabrics that has great prices and selection... check to see if there is one by you.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful than that.

-Darrill
the handcock fabs that i went to in wallingford was the scariest fucking place i've been into for awhile. now i like "craft" stores like micheals, ben franklin crafts, or whatever.. and the same goes for fabric stores.. as a diy screen printer and punk rocker i know my fabric stores.. but fuck the hancock fabric i went to was straight ouuta fucking twilightt zone.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:50 am

trodden,
I know what you mean. I don't know how yours (Hancock) is, but the one here is stuck in a time warp. Seems like the mid-late 80's never ended. And it's not only the store, it's the workers too.
Still, they have some great fabric for dirt cheap. Never heard of Ben Franklin crafts...
Do you have a Pearl's near you? Not sure they are out of the southeast. Those stores are great. F'in' pricey, but great.
We just found a really nice place here in Atlanta (not fabrics, just art supply/crafts) but I can't think of the name right now. Possibly the coolest "retail/chain" store type place I have ever been.

well,
sorry if I kicked this off topic.

-Darrill
trodden wrote:the handcock fabs that i went to in wallingford was the scariest fucking place i've been into for awhile. now i like "craft" stores like micheals, ben franklin crafts, or whatever.. and the same goes for fabric stores.. as a diy screen printer and punk rocker i know my fabric stores.. but fuck the hancock fabric i went to was straight ouuta fucking twilightt zone.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:06 am

If you really want cheap, use landscaping fabric- the stuff you put in the ground that prevents weeds from growing.

Speaker fabric would be great too- consult with your favorite speaker repair folks.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:42 pm

nlmd311 wrote:trodden,
I know what you mean. I don't know how yours (Hancock) is, but the one here is stuck in a time warp. Seems like the mid-late 80's never ended. And it's not only the store, it's the workers too.
Still, they have some great fabric for dirt cheap. Never heard of Ben Franklin crafts...
Do you have a Pearl's near you? Not sure they are out of the southeast. Those stores are great. F'in' pricey, but great.
We just found a really nice place here in Atlanta (not fabrics, just art supply/crafts) but I can't think of the name right now. Possibly the coolest "retail/chain" store type place I have ever been.

well,
sorry if I kicked this off topic.

-Darrill
trodden wrote:the handcock fabs that i went to in wallingford was the scariest fucking place i've been into for awhile. now i like "craft" stores like micheals, ben franklin crafts, or whatever.. and the same goes for fabric stores.. as a diy screen printer and punk rocker i know my fabric stores.. but fuck the hancock fabric i went to was straight ouuta fucking twilightt zone.
totes man.. I walk into fabric stores and the blue hairs start worrying or flirting, depending on the day or the store. I found another store, Pacific fabrics or something.. a nice girl who usually cuts foam hooks me up with black burlap, it also comes in red and blue, but that's too colorful for my bleak world.. I just wash the crap before attaching it to get rid of some of the shedding.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:28 am

If you have a local business that does remanufactured office furniture, including the partitions, give them a call to see if they have any extra acoustic fabric. There's a place in town whose primary business is remanufacturing/reconditioning used office furniture and they always have truckloads of office partitions going in and out. I called them up to ask if they had any extra fabric from a job that they didn't need. Turns out they had a whole roll of Guilford fabric that had been collecting dust in the corner, and they sold it me for dirt cheap. This was a major score and it makes the stuff I'm building look very nice.