Amp repair recommendation in San Francisco (or thereabouts)?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cities
alignin' 24-trk

Amp repair recommendation in San Francisco (or thereabouts)?

Post by cities » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Hi,

I've got a silverface vibrolux reverb and a silverface vibrochamp that both need a little professional attention -- anyone have a recommendation for a really good amp tech in san francisco or the bay area? thanks in advance!

CYD
audio school graduate

Post by CYD » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:20 pm

If you don't mind an hour drive this guy is a great tech:
www.unclespot.com

For a tech that is local to the SF Bay Area I would recomend Dan Torres. You can find him at:
http://www.torresengineering.com/tubampguitre.html

lacquer_monkey
gettin' sounds

Post by lacquer_monkey » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:43 pm

You also may want to give Skip Simmons a call. He advertises in TapeOp and may be a shorter drive than Modesto. He's really quite good.

jd
uh... what??

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:46 pm

i have good luck with stan over at mojotronix. he's dirt cheap, and picks up and delivers.

i think its like a 50 or 75 bench, which INCLUDES an hour. pretty sweet. and its $20 for pickup AND delivery! he does recaps for less than $100.. depending on the amp.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:05 pm

I'd send anything to a guy with a promo shot like that. Wyckyd.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:38 pm

I haven't lived in the Bay Area for a while, but Hal at Guitronix next to Guitar Center (no affilliation whatever) was the guy to go to, although I've never used him. I went to Stan, before I heard of Hal, and he wasn't too bad -- he at least fixed it, although I think he slightly overcharged me - I wouldn't exactly describe him as dirt cheap, although he might have a lower overhead now.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:16 pm

Come to think of it, I don't want to say bad things about that Stan guy, though. I think he used to work at a place with a pretty high overhead (Studio Maintenance Center), where it was in a high-rent area (San Rafael). He definitely knows his shit, and I'd probably go to him again, although I thought the guy the other guy at SMC was sort of a pinhead.
hammertime wrote:I haven't lived in the Bay Area for a while, but Hal at Guitronix next to Guitar Center (no affilliation whatever) was the guy to go to, although I've never used him. I went to Stan, before I heard of Hal, and he wasn't too bad -- he at least fixed it, although I think he slightly overcharged me - I wouldn't exactly describe him as dirt cheap, although he might have a lower overhead now.

cities
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cities » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:16 pm

thanks for the suggestions, everyone. we called skip and stan, and seeing as stan's a lot closer, we'll try him out this time around. thanks again!

Submersible
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Submersible » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:37 pm

I think you'll be happy with Stan. He recently recapped a Fender Princeton for me and delivered the amp back to me at work (he was in the area).

I've lived in SF for 10 years now, and I've given business to just about every tech. Hal at Guitronics, Randy at Absolute Tube Amp Works, Uncle Spot when he used to live in San Bruno, Dave H. in Hayward. Absolute Tube Amp works had the best prices, but I don't know if he's still in business. Most expensive is Guitronics. All of them do quality work.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:11 pm

now that i think about it, stan is a good person to "build a relationship with". my first job with him was sort of normal priced, i got a polytone 103 with a bunch of problems fixed for like $180. i forget exactly.

but after going back a few times, he starts cutting a lot of prices, free deliveries, free this or that.. you know. if he's driving by, he'll drop stuff off. like how a business should be run!