Alesis Multimix 16...opinions??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Alesis Multimix 16...opinions??

Post by Regular Guy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:59 am

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=94

Has anyone used one of these or heard much about them? I've been on the market for an interface for awhile and I find this one interesting because it is a multi-input interface that can also operate as stand alone mixing board.

I have a really shitty computer right now and I can't really afford to replace it for another 6 months or so. If this Alesis board was decent enough, I could use it in the mean time to tinker and make simple recordings on 4 track cassette. Then, when I replace my computer (with a Merom powered MacBook Pro) I can just jump right into some more complex multitrack recording. (either that or I can run sessions on bandmates computers until the wait is over for a 64 bit Mac notebook).

I'm most worried about the preamps sounding like total dog shit, or, the preamps sounding like total dog shit when compared to the pres on similarly priced products like say, the Presonus Firepod.

I will say that I'm turned off by the presence of built in effects. Built in effects are always fairly chintzy.

mrclean
pushin' record

Alesis MultiMix Mixer

Post by mrclean » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:33 am

I can't speak about the 16 but I have a USB 8 and have been totally happy with it. Its fine for all my simple home demo recordings.

My unit seems well built and sturdy. Yeah - the onboard effects are a bit cheesy but you don't have to use them - even the 8 had two sends for external gear.
-- mrclean

Regular Guy
gettin' sounds

Post by Regular Guy » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks for your post, mrclean.

Does anyone have any additional feedback/suggestions to offer?