Attenuation between mic pre and AD converter

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Patrick
audio school

Attenuation between mic pre and AD converter

Post by Patrick » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:21 am

Hey, I've got a small problem. I just got an API 512 (yippie!), and have it connected directly into my MOTU 828 mkII. The MOTU doesn't have any sort of input calibration (which it really should, it's usually too damn hot), and I can't drive the API at all without clipping the AD converters. What I need is either some sort of line level attenuator (XLR) to connect between the API and the MOTU, or a line level mixer of some sort. The only thing with getting a line level mixer is that I really only need this for my API pre, and wouldn't need something with that many channels. I'm trying to spend the least amount of money here without compromising the signal. Any suggestions as to what I should get?

Thanks!
Student/freelance engineer at Berklee College of Music (yeah, yeah I know) trying to make my way into the business. If you're in the Boston area and would like to meet up send me a PM. We can talk gear, the industry, etc.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:03 am

A Design's...... "ATTY"...!
www.adesignsaudio.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:32 am

the atty would be great..

you can also pad between the mic and the 512 more with a shure pad or similar h-pad..or use both for maximun control!