Philadelphia: Audio Engineering Schools/Programs?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Pentagram D.C.
audio school

Philadelphia: Audio Engineering Schools/Programs?

Post by Pentagram D.C. » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:49 am

Hi,
Did a couple of google searches and didn't find much on this topic.
Anybody familiar with any schools and or programs in the Philadelphia area that offer courses or degrees in audio engineering. I already have a BA in Liberal Arts so Im pretty much looking for a 2 year program but I'm open to whatever. Tell me anything you know about, even if you think it's a bad place, but if it is opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:21 am

Visit the Educational Directory at the AES website. They list every program available in the world that knows enough to register with them.

-Jeremy

Pentagram D.C.
audio school

Post by Pentagram D.C. » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:21 am

Thanks for the link. Seems like a good resource but only had 1 program in Philadelphia and it was for work in Video.

Anybody else got any info for me?

Professor

Post by Professor » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:40 am

What level of education are you looking for? Certificate, associate degreee, bachelor degreee?
Philly may just not have much, but you're not too far from Baltimore or DC.

-J

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:58 am

i'm sorry, man. i see these kind of posts about Philly learning experiences, and i just have no idea what to tell you. i wish i could. other than rip-off "music industry" majors at expensive 4 year schools.....i got nothing.

i remember asking a friend about this a few years ago, he was working in sound. "hey, what do you recommend i do to get more into audio? i've already done a little interning..." he offered me the job he was leaving at a theater, and i've been doing that for 3 years. other than that, he had no idea.

good luck.

matt250321
pluggin' in mics

Post by matt250321 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:12 pm

Hey, not sure if it is what you are looking for (since you already have a BA) but I am going to Lebanon Valley College in Annville, PA for Music Recording Technology and I like it a lot. Its about an hour from philly. It is actually a Bachelor of Music with an emphasis in Music Recording Technology. Lots of music theory and performance as well as liberal arts crap, but the studios are nice and the classes are all what you put into it. Recording classes include ear training, tonmeister recording, mastering, Music Production Seminar, etc...Also lots of physics, electronics, acoustics stuff. The 3 studios are free to use 24 hours a day as long as you sign it out. Really no strict limits (but class projects get priority over personal time). Anyway, probably not what your looking for, but I haven't seen anything else in the Philly area other than 4 year stuff or just interning... Drexel has a Music Industry degree combining music theory, music business/law, and recording. Apparently in 5 years you can also get your MBA if thats something your into.
"We are emotional salesmen" -Shelly Yakus

hauser gabone
gettin' sounds

Post by hauser gabone » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 pm

camden county college in NJ has a recording program that just started, its going pretty nicely.
i was in the 'studio' and they had just gotten a shipment of new equipment and i saw some u87s, 47s, boxes of sm57s, compressors etc. etc. etc...so there is no lack of gear...but most important....good teachers!
i'm sitting here in a moustache cause it needs to recharge

Professor

Post by Professor » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:53 pm

Must have overlooked that part about already having the BA degree. In most schools, that usually means that you can get a second BA in under two years by simply taking the 30-45 credits that create their major. All of you core curriculum would transfer in as complete. Now a music degree is typically something outrageous like 60-75 credits on top of University core, so I wouldn't recommend that.
Or you could start simple with something like the Art Institute of Phila. That one is listed at the AES site.

-Jeremy