recommendations for a guitar preamp/DI

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

klangtone
pushin' record

recommendations for a guitar preamp/DI

Post by klangtone » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:03 am

Hey,

My friend has one of those Tascam USB soundcard jobbies.
He says that the sound he is getting from his guitar directly plugged into it isn't so hot. He does a lot of super-saturated, shoegaze type stuff. So, he's thinking to get some kind of preamp or DI to use in front of the built-in pre of the Tascam. Micing an amp isn't really an option for him cause he lives in an apartment. Also, money is tight...

Anyone have any suggestions for a relatively cheap (under $400?) DI or pre for this type of work? I'm not sure he'd be into amp simulator stuff cause he's more about being real in your face with his sound. Everything is in the red.

Thanks,

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:53 am

try this: http://www.v-stack.com/
i know you said he doesn't like amp simulators but this thing really sounds great. it's also an overdrive pedal. i believe there are a few threads on this board if you use the search function. it works great going direct. it sounds very real. check out the sound clips on their site. they're not kidding! good luck.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

covert
pushin' record

Re: recommendations for a guitar preamp/DI

Post by covert » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:57 am

klangtone wrote:Hey,

My friend has one of those Tascam USB soundcard jobbies.
He says that the sound he is getting from his guitar directly plugged into it isn't so hot. He does a lot of super-saturated, shoegaze type stuff. So, he's thinking to get some kind of preamp or DI to use in front of the built-in pre of the Tascam. Micing an amp isn't really an option for him cause he lives in an apartment. Also, money is tight...

Anyone have any suggestions for a relatively cheap (under $400?) DI or pre for this type of work? I'm not sure he'd be into amp simulator stuff cause he's more about being real in your face with his sound. Everything is in the red.
Hughes & Kettner used to make hlf rack sized units, called Cream Machine, Blues Master or Crunch Master. The best DI guitar sound I have gotten have been through one of these.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:42 am

It's fresh in my mind because I just got it yesterday, but the ART rack preamps (mine is an MPA Gold) kill many birds - or at least maim them - with one stone. The DI capabilities are surprisingly good. Then of course it works as a mic preamp that would blow the Tascam usb box right out of the proverbial h20.

300 bones right now at your favorite megadealers.

That's assuming he already has the amp sims he needs within his komputer, and he just needs to get a better guitar sound input.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:03 am

A simple SansAmp with a compressor and favorite distortion box of choice works great.

If he has a high gain distortion box, he can plug it straight into a Hughes & Kettner Red Box. I have one for sale if he's interested.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:06 am

SansAmp Classic
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Dubious
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubious » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:31 am

i got a focusrite trackmaster pro that i use for direct guitar recording all the time.. nice compressor, mid scoop, HPF all for around $200 on ebay.. and it sounds great on other sources as well.

kayagum

Re: recommendations for a guitar preamp/DI

Post by kayagum » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:22 am

covert wrote:Hughes & Kettner used to make hlf rack sized units, called Cream Machine, Blues Master or Crunch Master. The best DI guitar sound I have gotten have been through one of these.
Those units are great- they have power tubes, and I believe they're 1 watt (maybe even less). Amp speaker simulation (probably Red Box or proto-Red Box).

The original microamp!