XLR Patchbay?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:21 pm

I would be remiss to point everyone to Chris Garges' post referencing the ghetto DIY XLR panel on Gearslutz:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... =xlr+panel

I just picked up a rubber grommet at the local hardware store to test this theory out and the XLR patch cable I have fits very snug and securely. I just might try that solution out since I already have the short XLR cables to run from the panel to my pres. And if it doesn't work, I can order the jacks and wire it up all official like.

-Bret

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:50 pm

That seems like a fairly good design at least for the female jacks. When pushing in, the little metal tab keeps the connector from pushing through the plate. But when unplugging, you would risk pulling the connector through the panel.
It also wouldn't work well (for the same reason) with male XLRs or 1/4" for obvious reasons. Though with the panel shown, it's easy enough to buy the chassis-mount connector for a couple of patch points.

I would instead suggest getting an aluminum blank panel with no holes, and then drilling out the holes so they are big enough to accomodate the female threads on the Neutrik XLR connector shells, but small enough that the outside diameter of the connector won't fit through the hole. Then the connectors could be opened, slid through from the back, and closed up for a snug fit that will hold firmly when plugging & unplugging - with no rubber grommets required.

But that still looks like a pretty effective low-tech solution.

-Jeremy

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:34 pm

Yeah, I figure if this doesn't work, I'm going to suck it up and order real panel mount connectors. The grommet is actually VERY snug, I don't think it will come out just from removing the male end very easily. Fortunately, I just need the female ends on the panel. I'm going to get a couple of TRS panel mount jacks to wire in though. I'll have to post a report once I've got it working and have used it a little. At the worst, I'll be out $12 or so for the grommets, as I can reuse the panel.

Anyhow, I'm reluctant to take on another soldering project right now until I finish up my two 16-channel TRS-TRS snakes. I spent about 4 hours on Saturday night stripping, shrink tubing and prepping all the wires for soldering. It's going to be at least a couple more weeks before I find the time to solder all the connectors. Whee!

-Bret