UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Clocking Question regarding 002R + outboard preamps

Post by UnlikeKurt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Hello All.

I am running a pro tools setup on a mac g4 utilizing the 002R

Currently I am clocking the 002R to my Digimax96K via lightpipe
(as the 002R has no BNC)
I was looking into aquiring a dual channel tube preamp, and was reading reviews on the ART MPA GOLD and MPA DIGITAL.

I realize that i could simply use the MPA GOLD into the line in's of my 002R and let the converters take over there.
However, I was interested in utilizing the SPDIF outputs of the the MPA DIGITAL into the SPDIF of the 002R.

My question is how to set up the clocking on the MPA DIGITAL since the 002R is clocking from the DIGIMAX and has no capability of connecting an external word clock via BNC?
Could i setup an external word clock and clock the digimax to it, and then clock the 002R to the digimax via lightpipe?

Can I do something with the BNC from the Digimax and the MPA DIGITAL?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I will just stick with the analog model.

Thanks

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:54 pm

Looking at the back of this thing it appears there is no word clock out. Using the s/pdf out it will give you 2 more inputs to your 002R which is a majorly cool deal. To be brutally honest, at $400 I doubt it has a better clock than your Digimax anyways.
my band: Mission 5

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Thanks sir.
That's what i was thinking. that it would simply give me two more inputs to my 002R. But i wasn't sure of what to clock it to and whether or not i need to clock it to something since it is a digital device.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:16 pm

I have an Octopre LE and the Digital MPA and all clocking off the 002R, although during mixing I've gotten a couple errors lately (stating that the clock was bad), but this had happened with the other units turned off too.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:56 am

You need everything to be operating off the same clock signal to avoid glitches. Something needs to be the master clock and everything else has to slave to it based on receiving a clock signal over some format from the master device. Not sure what the best clock is in your case, probably the Digimax but look into it. If the Digimax has wordclock output, one option would be to use it as the master. Send the clockoutput from it to the MPA over the BNC connections, then configure PTLE to lock to an external clock input over the S/PDIF input.