How to get more business?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

How to get more business?

Post by J.B.Horns » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:26 am

I just quit my real job in order to pursue my carrer in the studio. I have a wife and 2 kids, so I really need to get on the ball.

For the last 5 years or so, I've been recording rock bands, and most of them are either friends of mine, or friends of friends. It's been fairly steady, but not enough to feed a family of four on.

What have you guys found to be the most effective way to find new customers?

I'm planning on going out to more shows to check out bands and meet more people. This is how I met the guy who recorded a couple albums of mine way back when, and seems to be a really effective way of starting a relationship.

Advertising can be expensive, and I'm not sure it pays off. Aside from getting my website updated, what form of advertising, if any, would you recommend?

I'd like to branch out into the world of post-production, but I'm really not sure how to go about it. I'm a little afraid of calling around because I don't want to come across like a solicitor. But if I were to call around, who would I call? I don't really even know what to call the work I'm trying to get. Voice-over, dialog-editing, post? What types of things are these clients looking for in a studio? Plush decor, expensive mics?

Needless to say, as a 30-year old father of two, I'm quite a bit nervous, and don't really have any other skills or credentials to fall back on. I could always go back to doing what I was doing before, but I might kill myself shortly thereafter.

As always, any info would be greatly appreciated.

John Burdick

Seventh Wave Studio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Seventh Wave Studio » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:02 am

I hear you. This is such a killer industry. The best thing to do is raise the bar in your area. Be THE place to go to in your town. Find out what every studio is doing well, do it better. Find out what they are not doing well and do it fantastic.

Vibe the place out. Make it comfy. Buy a playstation. Be easy to work with. Find the biggest band your town and do 2 songs for free. Use that to get more business.

Do something extra on every project. Maybe a free acoustic track? How about a case of their favorite beer in the fridge for them? A wrap-up party at the end of the project for them and their girlfriends/boyfriends? Have photographer friend take studio shots for them? Drop their suprise on them halfway throught the project.

Word-of-mouth spreads faster then you think. Find new bands as they form. Have them out for a shrimp tray and some drinks. Be a step ahead all the time. Make sure to tell everyone, "Did you have a great time? If so, do me a huge favor and tell other bands so I can do what I do for the price that I do!!"

Contact bands with whom you worked every year or so. Remind them of something cool during their project and find out when they are going to record again. Not a sales call, god no. But you should build relationships with your clients. Keep in contact all year long.

I do not do voice-overs, commercials, or anything else like that. All I do is produce and record bands. I am 34, and live a decent life. BUT----it is a 24 hour job. If you walk away at the end of the day, think of how many other people are doing the above listed things while you are watching "Friends".

Thought of the day...

How do yo make a small fortune in recording?

Start with a large fortune.

HAVE FUN!!!!
www.seventhwavestudio.com <----looky

"All we know is all we are"
(misheard lyric) Kurt Cobain