Drop it

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

antilog
george martin

Drop it

Post by antilog » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:35 pm

Any stories of dropping it all and travelling? Selling off all your possessions and wandering?
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:46 pm

i think about this all the time...
look around and just wish it was all gone...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:55 pm

I've never heard of anybody doing that and regretting it later, although you might consider storing some of the good possessions for later when you feel a new urge to settle...

I did a modicum of it during the college years and after and the rewards are ongoing in terms of perspective and worldview and whatnot.

Be prepared to get bored wherever you go, though. That's a big part of traveling. Lots of waiting around. Lots of strange people out there who will talk your ear off. That's the whole idea though.

mus1k_freak
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mus1k_freak » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:18 pm

oh man, i dream about this everyday, i love traveling, probalby one of my favoarite things and unfortuantly i dont really have much money to do it, though if i sold my car and gear and stuff ide probably have like $10k or so to kick around, and the worst part is im the perfect age (or at least i think so) to do this, im just about 22, working full time for my dads company, done with school and such, what i would give to be able to travel....ugh
doctors practice, musicians perform

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:30 pm

"Never own anything that you have to feed or paint" - Utah Phillips

(not that I live by these words)

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 pm

the trickiness is debt

school loans das auto loan credit card etc

wouldn't want to deal with the repercussions of defaulting, whatever they are...
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:02 am

Well, the debt part is different. I guess I've never heard of anybody saying they're GLAD they defaulted on a bunch of loans.

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:25 pm

You definitely want to own something, even if it's a car you can sleep in, or be in a reasonably non-violent place (definitely not America). Or else, you're going to constantly be fucked with by police, angry citizens, and various other maniacs.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:34 pm

I knew a fellow who propped up his NYC studio on credit cards for a couple of years. He finally ditched everything when the cash ran out, packed all his gear into a U-Haul, gave it to an old friend down south and moved to Paris.

I was amazed that he could make a decision to leave the country and never come back...

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:14 pm

a friend of mine had HAD IT with milwaukee...(it'll do that to you)

packed up a small bag and went to Barcelona slept on roofs in a tent..

apparently doing quite well now thank you...
i think he even has an apartment..

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:31 pm

I noticed in that most European countries, US citizens don't need a visa for a 3 month stay

How did the guys stay so long in Paris and Barcelona? Just staying out of the officials' hair?

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:10 am

antilog wrote:How did the guys stay so long in Paris and Barcelona? Just staying out of the officials' hair?
he found a girl and got married pretty quickly...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:51 am

I think some people need 40 days in the desert..

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:47 pm

i just made it to portland with my drumset, my laptop, and a bag of clothes... does that count?

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:32 pm

Man, you have no idea how much I want to get a laptop and take some headphones, and my firepod and work my way across the country. Just find old musicians in their natural habitat and record them. Wouldn't charge for the recordings. Just do some other sort of work to keep myself moving. If that happens, I'll keep you updated.
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"