Best insulation for basement ceiling?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Earthjones
audio school

Best insulation for basement ceiling?

Post by Earthjones » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:44 am

I'm building a jamroom/studio space in the basement of my home. My goal at the moment is trying to keep the noise of bass amps and kick drums to a minimum in the rest of the home. For now the 2x8 floor joists above are open and exposed. My next move is to put some type of insulation in between the joists before I put up a ceiling. How does regular pink insulation work in this situation. I've read a lot about rigid fiberglass insulation as well. Does owens corning 703 or 705 do a better job in this type of application? Again, the idea here is keeping noise to a minimum. I'll move on to room treatment once the ceiling is completed. Thoughts?

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:06 pm

I think your best bet is to fill that space in the joists with, whatever, r-30, regular pink batts, and then hang a couple layers of sheetrock from "resilient channel". (Not easy to do without "shorting" the resilient conection with a few errant skrews........) Make sure your ceiling is not rigidly connected to your walls. Caulk all along the edges of the ceiling.
All this won't do a thing unless the ceiling seals to the walls, and you are also careful about other penetrations. (vents? Pipes? DOORS!!!!)
Brian

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:53 am

no isulation and dry wall will certainly not soundproof your basement from the house..it may go partly(a little, mostly in the higher frequencies unfortunately) in that way though..true mechanical isolation and layers of dense material (lead, acoustiblok)are needed to truely soundproof your basement..and soundproofing is never anything short of extremely expensive..just the freight charge on the extremely heavy material is enough to give you a heart attack..

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:42 am

This comes up all the time. It is nearly impossible without a large budget and space to eliminate these sounds in the living area. It's better to find time you can make noise - if this is to become a busier space than that then to find a commercial or freestanding building. That's what I did 9 years ago...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com