Audix D6 in the studio. What are your thoughts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

weallfailed
audio school graduate

Audix D6 in the studio. What are your thoughts?

Post by weallfailed » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:55 pm

I heard one used in a live setting and i sounded pretty good. Seemed like one of those pre-curved kick drums mics that already have the boost around 3-5k and cut around 400hz.

I'm thinking about buying one for recording, but I'm a tad worried it might be too colored. Has anyoine used one in the studio?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:56 pm

I was a fly on the wall for an R&B / Gospel session yesterday, and the kick was mic'ed with a D6 inside and an at4047 outside. The combo worked really well together, I thought - and this was on a 22" kick.

gauze
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gauze » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:10 pm

I am a newbie at recording but I think I know what sounds good and I have used it at 2 sessions and it needs very little adjustment to sound fat and punchy and people think it sounds great, mission accomplished.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:23 pm

Great kick mic for rock. Yep, it's pretty colored. Check out page 2 of this PDF for the frequency response curve.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:04 pm

too colored for the session last weekend. I had it just inside the bass drum with the front head off and then two pzms side by side four or five inches just outside of the front of the drum that sound great blended with the D6. I even got some nice transients from the pzms that I am going to leave in. That was for a more indie rock band. They have really crappy drums though. I wonder what it would sound like with some real drums.

llamaj
takin' a dinner break

Post by llamaj » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:58 pm

i use one. i wanted something different than the old standards
and i love it . with a resonant head on the kick, put just the front of the mic about a half inch in the hole and tweak from there. its a perfect setting for live sound
in the studio ill use the same approach with a large condenser outside the resonant head. the outside mic picks up the low mid and the D-6 picks up the deep low and clear high. you can move the d-6 in and out for different sounds. record both mics seperately. mix them accordingly for the song. I asked the salesman at Guitar center for his lowest price. 169.00. ive seen used ones go for that on ebay

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:12 am

I also use the D6 in the studio (and live). Just setup my homemade "sub-kick" too, using an 8" foam-surround woofer, on the outside. Talk about big bottom, my kick's got 'em...

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:50 am

I really love it on kick in a somewhat heavy rock band, but I'm not sure how it would work in other situations. It sounds like ass on a bass cab. If you want something that will work on bass guitar or other things, I would lean towards a d112 or something else. Since I already have one of those, a D6 would be a very welcome addition to my collection.
I've also heard good things about the Sennheiser kick mic (e602 i think?) Has anyone used one of those?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:58 am

steve3b1 wrote:I really love it on kick in a somewhat heavy rock band, but I'm not sure how it would work in other situations. It sounds like ass on a bass cab. If you want something that will work on bass guitar or other things, I would lean towards a d112 or something else. Since I already have one of those, a D6 would be a very welcome addition to my collection.
I've also heard good things about the Sennheiser kick mic (e602 i think?) Has anyone used one of those?
Wow...I actually love mine on my bass cab (SWR 15) - but I blend it with a DI line and usually an at4050 a couple of feet away.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:23 pm

anyone A/B the audix D6 and the Shure Beta52? I see a lot of those 52's stuck in kicks lately and wondered--mostly been live so it's hard to tell what they really sound like. would love to hear from someone who has both.
Mike

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:13 pm

mjau wrote:
steve3b1 wrote:I really love it on kick in a somewhat heavy rock band, but I'm not sure how it would work in other situations. It sounds like ass on a bass cab. If you want something that will work on bass guitar or other things, I would lean towards a d112 or something else. Since I already have one of those, a D6 would be a very welcome addition to my collection.
Wow...I actually love mine on my bass cab (SWR 15) - but I blend it with a DI line and usually an at4050 a couple of feet away.
hmmm... i haven't tried blending it. i'm sure it can add some great sounds to a blend, I didn't like it by itself though, with the bass/amp combo that was available when I tried it out.

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:59 pm

i had a D112 for a while...but i sold it when i got the D6.

it sounds OK inside a kick, but WAY better about 2 feet out...low, almost on
the ground, in front. it also sounds cool on the beater side right up close.
but i've never liked it inside. in fact - - -

i've found that putting any mic inside a kick is basically useless.
i know it seems like a good idea, but really, don't do it.
try putting your head in there while someone else kicks on it. not good.

e

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:07 pm

I used it on a snare once. It worked.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:17 pm

steve3b1 wrote:
mjau wrote:
hmmm... i haven't tried blending it. i'm sure it can add some great sounds to a blend, I didn't like it by itself though, with the bass/amp combo that was available when I tried it out.
Yeah, by itself...not so good. Anchoring just the low rumble...much better. This way I can high pass the other mic and fuzz it up if I want, and I still have some low end to mix in w/ the D6.

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:08 pm

I've used it twice now and I've been very happy. Both sessions were with the same kit and drummer, but in very different rooms. I usually use a D112 and occasionally a 421 or an RE-20. I've never gotten a sound that I was happy with as fast as I did with the D6. Nice and punchy but not overbearing which is great because the drummer had a heavy and busy foot. Great for rock, but probably too much for a jazz date.