oktava mic MKL 2500

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

oktava mic MKL 2500

Post by operator_tape » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:22 pm

I have had this mic for a while and just found out, that it is a chinese made microphone, is there any huge difference between the two and if so is there currently a mode out for them?

It does have a serial number on it and there is a A.S.M thingy in the back.

The power supply is big on it but it is not in russian or anything like that.

Anyways thanks for the help.

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:08 pm

From what I understand the mic itself should be russian but the power supply may be chinese.
The big problem seemed to be lots of hum in some (the smaller) of the chinese PSs.
I think if you want to you can buy a replacement russian PS- but if yours aint hummin' I don't know if the upgrade is worth it.
And if it does hum I think there is a pretty long thread on another board (that I can't remember right now but should be easy to find) that addresses this problem and supplies diy fixes.

rodabod
takin' a dinner break

Post by rodabod » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:18 pm

The Chinese P/S is fine, in fact in some ways it is better.

You need to earth the XLR plug barrel at the mic end.

To see if the mic is Russian, check it has the weird treble resonator disk on the capsule.

operator_tape
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by operator_tape » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:55 am

thanks, I will check it out

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:12 am

hyde maintenance wrote:The big problem seemed to be lots of hum in some (the smaller) of the chinese PSs.
Are you saying there's also a LARGER Chinese power supply? I thought there was just the larger Russian one and the small Chinese one?

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:22 am

rodabod wrote:The Chinese P/S is fine, in fact in some ways it is better.

You need to earth the XLR plug barrel at the mic end.

To see if the mic is Russian, check it has the weird treble resonator disk on the capsule.
Yes. The there are no issues with the Chinese power supply. The problem (I feel) has more to do with the wiring of the connector on the cable.
I think these mics sound pretty great overall. I picked up one too many; went a little crazy when they went on sale and have an extra if anyone is interested.

I have found that if you "half-plug" the cable into the mic (meaning you plug the cable all the way in, then back it out about half way), the hum is no longer an issue, at all! This way you don't have to go about soldering, or filing down some of the casing as some have done... etc.

There were a few Chinese mics made as well which do look very much like the Russians. Like Rodabod said, check for the disk on the capsule.
Another sure sign is if the mic is a grey-ish color, rather than the black. I have seen a few that appeared to be made of plastic.?
operator_tape, if your mic has the A.S.M., a serial number and has the traditional, black Oktava finish, I would almost gaurantee the mic is Russian.

I am so sick of all the eBay crap from the different Oktava dealers claiming that they, and only they are the "Only ones with authentic Oktava micrphones"! "Do not bid on another Oktava microphone unless it is from (insert so-and-so's Oktava shop name here)."

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:26 am

good to know. . .i may be interested in one if you still have them! i should have picked them up at GC when they had them, but i didn't know that this whole "Chinese thing" was going to happen which, in turn, eventually led to GC not carrying Oktava anymore. It's a shame really. . .

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 am

Yeah, it is pretty bogus. I love Oktava mics. I've got an MK-319, a 219, an ML-52-02 and a couple of the MKL-2500. Just something about those mics that I can't shake. The 319 was my first "real" microphone a few years back and I think it just grew from there.

-Darrill

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:08 am

nlmd311 wrote:The 319 was my first "real" microphone a few years back and I think it just grew from there.
Same here. . .I've got 2 mk319s (from when they were 2 for $99) and 4 mk012s and I love them. Michael Jolly at oktavamod.com is going to mod my 319s so i'm really looking forward to that. Since i've gotten other microphones, I rarely (dare I say NEVER) use my 319s anymore. This may breathe new life into them!

-James

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:13 am

Cool. Let us know what the mod is like once you get it back. If you could record some before and after samples, that would be even better.
I can still find a use for the 319... might be the previously mentioned nostalgia which draws it back into use though. :oops:
Either way, love the Oktava stuff.

-Darrill

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:03 am

The big problem seemed to be lots of hum in some (the smaller) of the chinese PSs.

Are you saying there's also a LARGER Chinese power supply? I thought there was just the larger Russian one and the small Chinese one?
Oh I don't know. I haven't been getting all the memos.
I was assuming that if I got it for $90 through musicians fiend something had to be counterfeit and I was just happy when it didn't hum.

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:37 am

nlmd311 wrote:Cool. Let us know what the mod is like once you get it back. If you could record some before and after samples, that would be even better.

-Darrill

I've got pre and post mod MK-219 samples up now. Also samples comparing a modded MK-219 to a U99, U195, SM7 and a couple other mics:

http://www.oktavamod.com/audio.html

Joel Hamilton has a modded 219 in his studio now and I hope to get his impressions also.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Cool. Thanks Michael, I will check them out. I check your site every so often as I consider the mods. Already followed your lead a while back and semi-modified my 219.
These mics are just too cool. Glad you are willing to share you mods and tips with us (both on the boards and through your site).

-Darrill

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:13 am

Is there a central point with info on the chinese 2500? I'm assuming mine is, since I got it just before the news hit. What is the "weird resonater disk?" What does it signify? How big or small is the big or small power supply?
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 am

The one I got is 8-1/4" x 6-1/2" and about 1-3/4" thick. I think the smaller one is about half the footprint but thicker.