Where to buy colored mic cables

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Where to buy colored mic cables

Post by Rodgre » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:21 am

I would like to buy mic cables in red, white, blue, yellow, etc. instead of black black black.

Where do others go for mic cables in different colors?

Roger

unsung
audio school

Post by unsung » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:47 am

procablesnsound.com

Pretty colors.

fromthecurve
ass engineer

Post by fromthecurve » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:49 am

http://www.markertek.com/Product.asp?ba ... rch=0&off=

Also, Blue makes some decent cables in a few different colors. I have one that's, well, blue.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:52 am

I second the markertek.com way. I was recommended there by a ton of members of the board and haven't looked back since. I haven't tried that brand that the link directs you to, but have purchased some Canare cable from there. Right now I have some Yellow and Grey cabling floating around.

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct. ... &sort=prod

That's a link to the Canare bulk cable page. You could also get the quad cable...
Don't forget the connectors!

hope that helps.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:37 am

Redco all the way baby!

http://www.redco.com

I "roll my own" btw...
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Canare's L-4E6S starquad cable is available in all ten resistor colors, and is available in either full spools (100meter or 200m) or in premade cables (with Neutrk black & gold XLRs) directly from Canare at "Pro Net" prices. Or any dealer that sells Canare.
Stock colors are black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey & white, and stock lengths of premade cables are 5, 15, 25, 50 & 100 feet.
Since I had to buy and install all the gear in my studio, I really didn't feel like soldering 50 or so of my own mic cables in addition to all the other hundreds of connections I couldn't 'out-source', so I bought their premade cables. They are gorgeous. I didn't want any black cables because I wanted to be able to identify my cables vs. client cables at a quick glance, and when travelling to locations, I figured everyone else would have black cables. I also color-coded for length, so I have a couple 5' cables in white, lots of 15' in orange & 25' in purple, some 50' in green, a couple 100' in grey, custom cables I build are in brown, and I have a few really short 1&2 footers for patching stuff in the CR in yellow. Oh, I also have their instrument cables in red for 10' and blue for 20'.
The whole system makes setup really easy, and make packing up on location a breeze. And if I ever show up at a local bar and see someone singing into a purple mic cable, I have a pretty good sense that it probably belongs to me - so I'll check it, unplug it, and take it home. (Only happened once so far with a bass player and one of my 20' blue cables.)

-Jeremy

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 pm

Given up on the whole "uncolored" recording thing then? :wink:

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Definitely Redco...I recently rewired my whole home studio with 10 different colors of Mogami console cable. Awesome!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:49 pm

Professor wrote:Canare's L-4E6S starquad cable is available in all ten resistor colors, and is available in either full spools (100meter or 200m) or in premade cables (with Neutrk black & gold XLRs) directly from Canare at "Pro Net" prices. Or any dealer that sells Canare.
Stock colors are black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, grey & white, and stock lengths of premade cables are 5, 15, 25, 50 & 100 feet.
Since I had to buy and install all the gear in my studio, I really didn't feel like soldering 50 or so of my own mic cables in addition to all the other hundreds of connections I couldn't 'out-source', so I bought their premade cables. They are gorgeous. I didn't want any black cables because I wanted to be able to identify my cables vs. client cables at a quick glance, and when travelling to locations, I figured everyone else would have black cables. I also color-coded for length, so I have a couple 5' cables in white, lots of 15' in orange & 25' in purple, some 50' in green, a couple 100' in grey, custom cables I build are in brown, and I have a few really short 1&2 footers for patching stuff in the CR in yellow. Oh, I also have their instrument cables in red for 10' and blue for 20'.
The whole system makes setup really easy, and make packing up on location a breeze. And if I ever show up at a local bar and see someone singing into a purple mic cable, I have a pretty good sense that it probably belongs to me - so I'll check it, unplug it, and take it home. (Only happened once so far with a bass player and one of my 20' blue cables.)

-Jeremy
dude, that is so rad. I'm an organization freak so the whole color coding by length thing is awesome idea. I've got 300 ft of orange and red canare L-4E6S that i've been using to build mic cables. I"m not that great at it quite yet but its fun.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:22 pm

Redco has amazing service.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:14 pm

AstroDan wrote:Redco has amazing service.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:58 pm

trodden wrote:dude, that is so rad. I'm an organization freak so the whole color coding by length thing is awesome idea. I've got 300 ft of orange and red canare L-4E6S that i've been using to build mic cables. I"m not that great at it quite yet but its fun.
I wish I could say I'm an organization freak. I try man, I really do, but that's hard.
But what I am is kinda lazy and slightly paranoid. I want less work, and I figure that every musician entering the room is going to try and steal something.
So, while I was digging through the Canare catalog and putting together orders for the initial build on the studio, I worked out the idea for the color-coding by length.
And yes, it's the best damn thing for a studio.
Totally predictable. Easiest way to keep 'em sorted. And really easy to spot from across a crowded bar.
Even the color choices were significant - instrument cables were only available in red & blue (and black). Orange and purple for the two I use most so they stand out the most on the floor or stage. Green & grey for the 50 & 100' lengths I would use at live performances. Didn't want to use yellow at all because it's usually for video, but I only have like four of those little 2' guys.
I never dig around and try to figure out whether a cable is long or short or accidentally grab the wrong length.
I did the same thing for our travelling live sound system, but instead used brown for 15 and grey for 25 so they look better on stage.

Can't recommend it enough.

-Jeremy

bap
takin' a dinner break

Post by bap » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:09 pm

Redco and Markertek.

I somehow manage to go back and forth, though not due to any dissatisfaction with either company.
'Oh... no... it wasn't the airplane...it was beauty that killed the beast.'

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:13 pm

I find that red cables have a warmer sound.

Green cables are great when you need a hit ($$$)

Whatever you do, don't get brown cables. They sound like crap.
my band: Mission 5

Doublehelix
takin' a dinner break

Post by Doublehelix » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:22 am

rolandk wrote:I find that red cables have a warmer sound.

Green cables are great when you need a hit ($$$)

Whatever you do, don't get brown cables. They sound like crap.
That was great! I actually laughed out loud at that one! Classic!!! :)
DH

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
-Yogi Berra