Scratchy pot - what are my rights and obligations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Scratchy pot - what are my rights and obligations

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 am

In a passive ancient Sho-Bud volume pedal. Is it still considered a legal maneuver to spray that silicone stuff in there? What are my rights in this situation?

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:02 am

You have the right to remain silent! Spray the sucker. The cost to replace that pot is pretty steep. They always get noisy too. I would use contact cleaner, then maybe some silicone to keep it from wearing out the wiper.

Go over to Steelguitarforum.com and ask in the electronic section. I think you will get the same answer. Also look in the for sale section for replacement pots.

Joe

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:11 am

Thank you sir. I have a replacement pot still in the bag (long story involving a pawnshop) but I am reluctant to open up that literal ball of yarn inside there.

I really should have procured that used sideplug Ernie Ball volume a few years ago.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:10 am

Caig Deoxit D-5!!!

That's what you want to use for pots, be very careful using other stuff because the wrong spray can do more harm than good.

stinkpot
pushin' record

Post by stinkpot » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:01 pm

A-Barr wrote:Caig Deoxit D-5!!!

That's what you want to use for pots, be very careful using other stuff because the wrong spray can do more harm than good.
Yes, Yes, and Yes!

Deoxit is the ONLY stuff to use.

Throw the other shit away quickly before it even looks in the direction of your pots.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:35 pm

If you use a volume pedal a lot, especially if you use it for steel guitar, you might think about looking for one of the Goodrich optical volume pedals. I play steel and have had a Goodrich 400A for about 10 years, and it's awesome. No pot, no battery, no rack & pinions, basically no moving parts to screw up. Super quiet, no distortion, no clipping, no tone change from super quiet to full blast. I got mine new from Buddy Emmons shop in NC for about $150 10 or so years ago. Not as cool looking as an old Sho-Bud volume pedal or an old Fender volume/tone pedal, but works a hundred times better and you never have to do anything to it.

I did a quick Google search and found this guy selling one for $40 in a post dated 1/22/06. $40 is a killer deal: http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/127559321.html

You might find new Goodrich pedals at Frenchy's (http://www.frenchyspedalsteel.com) or at Carter Steel Guitars (http://www.steelguitar.com). I think the 400A has been replaced by newer optical models.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:45 pm

Cool tip. I'll get one of those in the next gear lust/pay cycle. The Sho-Bud pedal is best used as a display piece. I do indeed use it for JV steel playing.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:11 pm

I have heard that the pots on these old VP's are somehow sealed and its hard to get the de-oxit stuff in there. I literally have no clue tho if thats really the case. If you screw up the string in there and need to know how to re-attach it there is a tutorial I think at the Carter Steel Guitar site. It is $5 to register at the Steelguitarforum (well worth it for me and probably anybody else as their classifieds section has good deals on effects, amps and guitars of all sorts), so there will be a delay in asking your question there should you choose to do so.

Im brand new to the Pedal Steel guitar so dont give my ramblings too much weight :)

If you have time Tater and could come back and tell me if the opertaion was successful or not I'd be curious to know. Thanks-
me make purty musick!

Vartan K.
pushin' record

Post by Vartan K. » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 pm

stinkpot wrote:
A-Barr wrote:Caig Deoxit D-5!!!

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

Deoxit is the ONLY stuff to use.

Throw the other shit away quickly before it even looks in the direction of your pots.
So true

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 pm

Where would I find Deoxit besides online? I am in a big city with all the usual offenders (Rat Shack, etc)

Thanks all for saving me from the other contact cleaners - I was just getting ready, aim, and about to FIRE when the warnings started rolling in and I managed to BAIL OUT of the sprayage event before any damage was done.

I hadn't touched the pedal steel in three years and now after two evenings' practice I am back in the same form as ever (not great, not even good, but back at the level I left at) - like riding a bike - left hand finger tendons hurt though.

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:52 am

Radio Shack has it: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2104746. You can check online to see if your local store has it in stock. Though RS stuff has its faults, that feature is pretty cool, so you can see whether to bother driving over there for something. RS has definitely picked up odds and ends business from me it wouldn't have gotten but for that online feature.

For people living near a Fry's Electronics, they have a broader selection of DeOxit stuff.

You can find local DeOxit retailers on the Caig site at http://www.caig.com.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:53 pm

Tatertot wrote:Where would I find Deoxit besides online? I am in a big city with all the usual offenders (Rat Shack, etc)

Thanks all for saving me from the other contact cleaners - I was just getting ready, aim, and about to FIRE when the warnings started rolling in and I managed to BAIL OUT of the sprayage event before any damage was done.

I hadn't touched the pedal steel in three years and now after two evenings' practice I am back in the same form as ever (not great, not even good, but back at the level I left at) - like riding a bike - left hand finger tendons hurt though.
Go to Guitar Center in Roseville. They have a stash in the Pro Audio dept.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:56 pm

AAh guitar center my fave (only mild sarcasm; I actually sort of like it there)

Thanks for the tip

Some snowstorm today eh