compressor problem

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lyman
re-cappin' neve

compressor problem

Post by lyman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:38 pm

hey. i don't know if anybody would be able to answer this question, but i might as well ask. i have a compressor, a dbx 163x and it's got some problems. it buzzes very loudly even if nothing is plugged into either input. and when there is an instrument hooked up to the hi-z input, or a mic pre going into the regular input, there's this strange ring modulator-like distortion. but shittier than a ring modulator.

would it be worth fixing or does it seem like it's passed on to the great studio in the sky? maybe some of you have run into similar issues with gear. thanks in advance.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:52 pm

I love the liitle thing, and would probably open it up and take a look.

But then, I'm the guy who has taken 120v. off my Marshalls a couple of times or more...

That said, a hi-fi guy should be able to fix it pretty easily, and pretty fast for a low hourly.

But first, did you work the slider and the "level set"? Try moving them 50x or so.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:46 pm

vvv wrote:I love the liitle thing, and would probably open it up and take a look.

But then, I'm the guy who has taken 120v. off my Marshalls a couple of times or more...

That said, a hi-fi guy should be able to fix it pretty easily, and pretty fast for a low hourly.

But first, did you work the slider and the "level set"? Try moving them 50x or so.
yeah, i'll end up taking it somewhere to get fixed. it sounds like some component is blown. i'll try the slider and level knob suggestion, but i'm skeptical. thanks for replying, man!

MikeCzech
gettin' sounds

Post by MikeCzech » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Are you running through a patchbay first?